Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Industrial street

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MGE_PM polycounter lvl 10
Hey Guys,

I'm working on industrial street, as a portfolio piece.

Should I add more street elements (Fire hydrant? Street names?), or maybe correct lighting ?
At this stage I need some crit from you guys

Thanks !

UPDATE:

Industrial_street_v0.97.jpg

///////////

1.jpg

2.jpg

Replies

• ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    Lets start simple here ...

The background,

The skyscrapers look too repetitive, I'd suggest for a portfolio piece to go as realistic as you can. Try making them diverse, not stand out, but not making them look like a game. It looks like that at the moment.

Next up, the streets themselves,

Now, they look good, in terms of scale, textures, placement and color. But they lack uniqueness, like you said, add some props. Try and look at real life places which resemble your street here. Ill help you:

This is a game, it may look old because of the blocky models and bad textures, but the placement feels real and unique:
    industrial_street2_jpg.jpg
    Ford_Piquette_Avenue_Plant_-_Detroit_Michigan.jpg
    albany-st.jpg
    harrisburg-industrial.jpg
    FullertonStreet.jpg
    walworth-street480.jpg

Add vegitation, some moss here and there, on the walls, streets etc. Particle effects, like smoke out of chimneys, water on the sidewalks, flies around the garbage etc. etc.

For a portfolio, you want to show someone you gave 110%, so this what you have now is a nice base, but push it to the limit, i'd say! :)

Another thing, make a day and night scene, it will show you have an eye for lightning ;) And placing a bar for workers in there wouldn't hurt, with some neon lights etc.

Cheers!
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey @MGE_PM

It's looking really good so far. It looks as though you have used modular assets which is good but it looks very similar all round. Add things to break up the similarities like trash cans, fire hydrants, mail boxes, street signs, construction, cars, road markings(no loading) etc. Maybe even add some props to the rooftops like power generators and antenna. You could maybe even break up the textures a bit with some graffiti or maybe just make some of the brick textures darker/lighter on different buildings.

At the moment it feels kind of deserted so try to think of how inhabitants would change the environment. Maybe some breaks in the concrete or something.

Just a few suggestions, feel free to ignore it :) but its looking good. Keep it up.
  • MGE_PM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, you both right to be honest :)

I will come back with more updates after a weekend.

thanks again.
  • MGE_PM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right... so finally I have some time to finish this piece. Feedback appreciated, Thanks guys.

update:

Night.jpg

day.jpg
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    That night scene has a lot of atmosphere i really like it =). The day scene is good to but just looks plain in comparison!
    Crazy what difference a bit of lighting does. Good job here =).

My only crits would be the building textures look quite flat in the daytime shot & that the pavement on the right looks pretty barren. Although its good to have space and areas to breathe in a still piece i personally think its feeling a tad empty.
    Just nit picking though.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The horizontal light beams around the streetlights seem very out of place. Also, an orange-yellow light is more typical than a blue-white light for street lighting.

You should replace the bright white moon circle with a proper texture.
    2993255_1.jpg
    You can reduce the uniformity of the buildings by having some of the windows partially open - not enough to see into the interior, just enough to break up the uniform line. You can also try breaking out a pane of glass, or covering over a pane with cardboard.

The lighting in both scenes seems too bright; the storage sign especially seems brightly lit from some unseen source.

The dark lines on the side walk are much too dark and prominent.

The lit windows in the background buildings look too regular as well; you might be better served by leaving those buildings dark.

Lighting the storage or garage signs would give you opportunities for creativity.

The gutter beside the sidewalks should be cement.
  • MGE_PM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great feedback guys, Thanks.

@Dubzski : Thanks dude :) about the pavement, I think few additional props might help I will add some broken glass and cans to make it more interesting.

@DWalker : thanks for lighting advice, I will focus first on night scene, and definitely will fix side walk. I am not sure about opening the windows... however I will experiment with that and see what works best. Thanks !
  • MGE_PM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, here is an update.
    New lighting and some new pieces.
    feel free to comment.

Industrial_street_v0.95.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good man. Only thing that is popping out at me right now is the sidewalk texture looks a bit low rez compared to everything else and how big it is.
  • MGE_PM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys,

This is my final update (I think),feel free to comment

Thanks in advance.

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    MGE_PM wrote: »
    Hello guys,

This is my final update (I think),feel free to comment

Thanks in advance.

Just going to throw this out. If you had a car chase going down the center of the street and some crack heads at the can fire it would be amazing. I know that's a ton of work but it would be really awesome and tell a story of sorts.