Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - QRemsher - Loopy-Loop solutions?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey to all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about ZBrush and it's remeshing tool, and how I could go about avoid the 'loopy loop' topology it tends to spit out for me?

While I do use Topology tools for more refined control, I would like to use QR too to create quick and dirty topology for the more mundane models, problem is, it always ends up giving me 'loopy' or 'spiral' topology which is pretty nasty to clean.

Example image:
Autopo_spiralLoops.jpg

Any advice? Do I need to create cross sections for the splines? Maybe mask them? Sacrifice a bunny?

Cheers!

Replies

• nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I was having trouble with that when I was messing around with Qremesher. I feel like the tool is "almost" there.

I am not sure if this helps but this is the general curve setup I have been using. When I took this screen shot I did have some of that in the knee area (you can see in the 3/4 view) but it just takes a little fiddling. That is the annoying thing about Qremesher. You can run it multiple times and get varying results.

I set my curve stiffness to 2. No automasking. I did mask his junk/gooch because it kept welding that area too much.

qmesher.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, and yeah, it gets annoying running the same instance and getting radically different results.

I noticed for the leg part, that the inner tight spline isn't connected to end of the crotch, maybe that explains why my models have that exact same issue (I tend to avoid overlapping splines, 3DC habit) so maybe connections are needed for the start and end points?

Also, how did you get it to behave with the straight lines? Pressing shift creates the loop spline for me, yet you have a perfectly refined lines on the side of the model (going from armpit to down the leg) which pretty straight.

Cheers Nyx!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Also, how did you get it to behave with the straight lines? Pressing shift creates the loop spline for me, yet you have a perfectly refined lines on the side of the model (going from armpit to down the leg) which pretty straight.

I believe that is all controlled with the "CStiffness" slider. The higher that is the less it deviates from the user's curves.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, that makes sense, cheers!
  • XilenceX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XilenceX polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry to revive this somewhat old thread, but it's the latest I could find on the subject.
    Did anyone find a solution to avoid the spirals created by QRemesher in the meantime?!?
    I tried placing the guidelines as suggested, but that didn't keep Qremesher from creating Spirals all across the arms.
    QRemesher works really well for me, if it wasn't for the Spirals which make manual cleanup in 3DS Max almost impossible.
  • Omnicypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omnicypher polycounter lvl 9
    Zremesher seems to work better on simpler hard surface stuff, so if you're getting spirals or just want extra density in certain areas, you can rake up your surfaces to control the edge flow. once you get the topology right, you can project it back onto the original.

[ Images Deleted due to photobuckets greed. ]

to solve the wrist problem in the original post, you can copy the mesh, sculpt a simple hard surface bracelet into the wrist, retopo, and project back to the original.