Home Technical Talk

Infuriating problem with Motion Builder - please help! :)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
Here's the issue, I rig and animate a character (in Motion Builder 2013) that is supposed to stay on his bike during several animations. Using 3DS Max 2013, the problem arises with the link constraint when I place it on the hand to fasten it to the motorcycle front wheel fork (which controls turning). It deforms the mesh and drops the hand to the ground. I used the MB Character Solver, turned off "plot translation on root only", plotted, and saved out as .fbx. I've tried numerous methods to get this to work, such as saving out the animations in Max, then importing them onto a clean mesh. The problem ONLY arises when exporting out of Motionbuilder as an .fbx and it only arises when I'm putting multiple animations on a single timeline. If I have one animation per .fbx no problems.. UGH!!!

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Replies

• Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do, but I prefer to export FBX animation from Mobu so that they have one anim/clip on the timeline and one anim/clip per FBX file. It just makes things cleaner overall.
    I also do plot translations to the root, as thats often where you want that data, joints in the rig should then only have rotation data.

It's also better to use the HIK solver in Mobu, especially in more recent versions of Mobu. And for making hands constraint or attach to things, using Aux Effectors are a better way to go.