Home Unreal Engine

How much Scripting would be involved?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
funkbro polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

Myself and a group of others have started work on our third year student game.

We're all art students with knowledge in UDK Kismet and Material Editor but that's about it.

Just curious to how much scripting needs to be done to actually get the game to work. And where the scripting would need to be done.

The game is set to be a third person RPG, so skill tree's and quest mechanics need to be implemented.

Any links to anything worth reading would be great!

Cheers :thumbup:

Replies

• James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An RPG is more code-heavy than many games, such as FPS's. The short answer is, a lot of code. You can get some stuff done through Kismet, but you're gonna either need to learn programming really fast or find someone to help program the game. I ended up writing 1000+ lines of code, just for one part the weapon framework. That's without programming characters, AI, leveling, etc...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just dont try to use kismet for game mechanics at all, kismet is olny for scripting with in your envirmeants, everythign else should be uscript.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah..I could see a decent amount of scripting for an RPG. While Kismet can be used to make an entire --small-- game, but its really designed for unique in-level events, as passerby said. If you hunt around on the epic forums and the UDN documentation sites you should find some good primers on unrealscript, but it's not a casual path--scripting for a full third person RPG will be a lot of work and youll really have to invest time to make headway. goodluck!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    also should mention from my experience, from back years ago when i first learned to program, it does have a steep initial learning curve, but once your past that point, you learn things extremely fast, and it is easy to pick up additional languages for what ever you need.
  • Pampers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep it simple! I did this all alone in a single class on my last semester. Only used unrealscript to implement the third person camera and some of the dialog interface, the rest was all kismet.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junrtITivfg&feature=g-crec-u"]Prepare for Battle Mappeinnlevering 2 - YouTube[/ame]

If none of you have any experience with unrealscript I won't recommend doing an RPG :)
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funkbro polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers the the responses guys! I guess i'd better start learning :).