Home Technical Talk

Chinese Roof - modular approach

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
Hello!

I'm trying to create japanese/chinese style building, with modular approach.
I thinking of breaking building into several assets/props, and then put them together to form this building.

Breaking walls into modular pieces seems quite easy, but roof is giving my quite a headache.

The building has several layers, and each has roof of a little different size, so i'm not really sure how to work modularly with that roof. Any ideas?

Here's a reference:
450px-yakushiji_toto.jpg

Tnx!

Replies

• walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    i think the main problem here is going to be the different slope of every level's roof. in a modelling app i would simply try a modifier with a curve. i don't know if something like that is possible in a game engine, too.

however, you could make the central parts of the roof flat. then, you only have to make one corner part and one middle part for the roof. each of the middle parts could for example be as wide as one of your wall modules.

the roof on the third level in your reference actually looks as if it was flat in the middle...
    you could simply try out how it looks with simple models.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx, yes, i'm thinking of making central part flat, and if nothing else, maybe making 1 or two corners and maybe scale things a bit.

But yeah, you are correct, i'll try with simple models and see how it goes.

Tnx for taking your time!
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    walkonsky wrote: »
    however, you could make the central parts of the roof flat. then, you only have to make one corner part and one middle part for the roof. each of the middle parts could for example be as wide as one of your wall modules.

This!