Home Technical Talk

Help with Mudbox brick sculpting

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey all,

So I've got a wall mesh that I want to sculpt into brick:
brick_wall.jpg
In Mudbox I've imported a tileable texture to use as a stencil. It works great for the front of the walls but I can't get the sides to line up properly:
brick_wall_sculpt.jpg

How would I go about doing this? The Stencil is completely flat to the view, so I can't sculpt on an angle. Is there a way to unwrap the model and then sculpt the unwrap?

Replies

• C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I guess you try to inflate/displace it with an alpha texture, right?
    Looks like your UVs don´t match.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not unwrapped yet. This is just the high poly sculpt, you don't need to unwrap the high poly. How do you inflate/displace it with an alpha?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I am sorry for only knowing the zbrush workflow, but:

Not unwrapped and only sculpted? Did you sculpt the bricks by hand? You did not use a texture to do it?
    I mean... if it is just a sculpt by hand then... just sculpt it properly.

Oh wait! Did youdrag a stencil (alpha) over the wall and got this brick look?

I´m sure mudbox can apply a texture and use it to inflate the surface.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the attempt to help C86G but I think I'm going to need someone who knows mudbox to help me. LOL Just sculpt it properly :P Thanks for that! No, I used a stencil for the brick to save me having to sculpt it by hand. My problem is that I can't get it to line up correctly and I'm trying to figure out how someone would do that if you can't paint with it in a perspective view. If you're limited to painting from either a side or front view it means that you can't see the lines of the opposite side in order to line them up correctly.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    This will sound harsh but time you spent waiting for help you could already finish it with manual method.
  • DonCornholio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonCornholio polycounter lvl 9
    You could make a nice flat UV Layout for your mesh, then fit your alpha/heightmap to it properly in photoshop and then make a sculpt with heightmap in mudbox . That would make aligning rather easy and you would achieve the same effect as using the Stencil and doing all this manually.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    That´s exactly what the dude from the first reply said. He just didn´t know the mudbox terms.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    You could make a nice flat UV Layout for your mesh, then fit your alpha/heightmap to it properly in photoshop and then make a sculpt with heightmap in mudbox . That would make aligning rather easy and you would achieve the same effect as using the Stencil and doing all this manually.

at that point why both sculpting at all, just use that as a base to start a texture with ndo2, and go on from there.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    at that point why both sculpting at all, just use that as a base to start a texture with ndo2, and go on from there.

Actually I was considering that.

And I'm not exactly sure how to sculpt perfectly straight lines with Mudbox. I'm still fairly new to the program. Great idea for using the displacement - sorry C86G - I didn't understand what it meant to inflate - its not a term I've heard before not being familiar with Zbrush. Like I said, thanks for trying to help though.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    if you want to sculpt in a straight line. theres several options: use orthographic views when sculpting OR draw curves in mudbox as guides OR use steady stroke in the brush options.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thanks for the feedback onionhead.