Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texturing a G43

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
Hello Polycount,

I'm working on texture for a G43 modelled by a friend of mine, Stealth-Killer, and I'd like some advice in this as it's for a pretty popular STALKER mod, called MISERY.

I've been working as texture artist in the team, but recently also got into modelling with Blender3D. He send me the blend file with the UV's and i've blocked the various parts out, but my question was, how I could improve on the texture distribution?

He UVwrapped it and I think it looks decent, but I know there is a lot of room for improvement.

Image(s):

W.I.P.

(Also, the barrel is really blurry? Is there a reason for that?)
rifle_close_by_mod_a_holic-d5mx5fh.png
rifle_far_by_mod_a_holic-d5mx5bq.png

Reference Images I am using:

stocks_by_mod_a_holic-d5mx5am.png

Replies

• BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Can we see the UV layout? And what texture size are you using? They look very blurred.
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR wrote: »
    Can we see the UV layout? And what texture size are you using? They look very blurred.

Oh yes, ofcourse. (Can I say I really admire your portfolio as a fellow dutchmen?)

Diffuse is 2048x2048

(ignore the text, i wanted to see exactly how blurry the textures became in blender - edit, had to reupload it because of a server mistake :P)
    g43uvfull_by_mod_a_holic-d5mx68l.jpg
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Yes you can say that hehe, thanks ^^
    About the UV, there is just way too much wasted uv space (black). You should scale / move until there is as less as possible unused uv space, just like a puzzle. Also, are a lot of very small pieces (top of the light green, right side of the yellow, etc.), they should also be bigger if you want at least a bit of detail on them. These issues should be fixed first, before starting on the texturing!
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR wrote: »
    Yes you can say that hehe, thanks ^^
    About the UV, there is just way too much wasted uv space (black). You should scale / move until there is as less as possible unused uv space, just like a puzzle. Also, are a lot of very small pieces (top of the light green, right side of the yellow, etc.), they should also be bigger if you want at least a bit of detail on them. These issues should be fixed first, before starting on the texturing!

I thought so already. Ill get to it and post my progress on here for anyone to criticize :)