Home Technical Talk

Normal maps hate me - please help

Okay so I've been at this all day. I'm at the end of my tether - ready to pull hair out.

After having numerous issues I finally managed to get an almost perfect bake for my model. However, one part of the bake wasn't quite right so I went back to add some geo to support the normal map. This is where everything went wrong.

I detached the part I wanted to modify, changed it, and added it to both the mesh and the cage. This gave me issues with not matching topo (same vert count, read something about vertex order or something?).

Anyway so I start again building my cage for the hundredth time today, and now all my bakes come out below. Just totally broken. I'm not doing anything different. Just exporting the cage from the projection modifier, using the push modifier and moving verts around.

Anyone able to help me? If not I'm going to take up drinking.

1vjXa

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well first off, what app?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Sorry, 3DS max (isn't max the only app with a modifier stack anyway?)

Edit: Just baked it in xnormal, much more reasonable result. However because I was baking using material IDs things are baking onto places they shouldn't. I know I could explode the bake but really I'd like to find out why max isn't working. Plus that'd mean doing the cages for each part all over again :poly127:

1vkGz
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I guess I had better start drinking :(
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Not a max user, but bake following the advice here (hard edges by UV borders), also you've got too much edge padding. Just explode the mesh, give global cage extrusion in xNormal and you should be good.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I've already done those things. I know how to bake a normal map. As far as I'm aware there isn't such thing as too much edge padding? What's the issue with having a decent amount?

I'm currently exploding the mesh and moving the highpoly to match (tedious...)

But really I want my software to work...
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Every. Goddamn. Time. All I'm doing is using push and moving verts :/
    Edit: Seems it doesn't like pushing multiple sub-objects at once. Weird...

Anyone able to offer any advice at all on my Max problem?
    1vDSm
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    First off, it's not true that you'd have to redo the cage. You can export the actual cage that you've built with the Projection modifier. In the Projection modifier, under the Cage dropdown, there's an Export button that lets you export the cage. You can then take that cage into xNormal and just use it.

Second, since your trouble seems to have started when you added more Geo, and since you're baking with material IDs, you should make sure that the new Geo inherited the previous mat-IDs. Just go in and double check your smoothing groups and your material IDs, as well as the usual reset xforms and whatnot. Also, I find it useful in these situations to add an Edit Poly modifier on top of the stack and collapsing it. This seems to force Max to rebuild the mesh, and it helps me solve weird shit quite often.

Another thing is that because of how the stack works, if you already had a projection modifier at the top of the stack, and then you added more geo at the bottom of the stack, there's a solid chance it'll ruin the vertex-order of the projection cage. You should try to redo the projection cage real quick and see the result. If it's more or less fine, then that's what happened.

Good luck.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've already done those things. I know how to bake a normal map. As far as I'm aware there isn't such thing as too much edge padding? What's the issue with having a decent amount?

I'm currently exploding the mesh and moving the highpoly to match (tedious...)

But really I want my software to work...

No such things as too much edge padding, its a ridiculous sentiment.

When doing the exploding, you should keyframe your objects. Object mode for highpoly peices) and vertex mode fro lowpoly pieces select by "element" in edit poly). Then add a keyframe at frame 0, and one at frame 10.

If you're exporting to XN or something else move your exploded bits at frame 0(it will default to exporting frame 0). Otherwise you can move them at frame 10 or whatever.

This will allow you to quickly switch back and forth between exploded and normal, and your cage will be properly exploded without any extra work. Just make sure to remember to bake from the exploded state. =)

Once your exploded keyframes are set up you can do simple tweaks on your lowpoly mesh like edit smoothing groups etc, and not have to worry about having two copies of the mesh or redoing cages or anything like that.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Thanks a bunch guys. I just got it to bake in xnormal with an exploded mesh. I then tried it in max, and it bakes the exploded mesh fine. But if I turn the bake by material ID option, it breaks again...

It seems somewhere along the line ALL of my material IDs got wiped. Not sure how. Perhaps when attaching meshes.

Regarding keyframing, what do you mean object/vertex mode? I've not done any animation in max before so I'm not sure of the difference. And it wasn't so much the work to create the cage (I made a copy of the lowpoly, exploded it, and made a cage from that). But rather the work to realign the high and low poly, as I had the low poly as one mesh but the high as multiple meshes. Meaning I'd have to separate each piece, centre the pivot, and align it with the moved highpoly...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Object vs Vert:
    A. When you select an object, add some keyframes, and move it, you're keyframing the object
    B. When you select a sub-object, like vert or element, you're keyframing by verts.

Moving:
    Well the thing to do is use numeric move and move in easy to remember units, like move it 5 units or something. You shouldn't be manually lining the high and low back up by eye, thats going to result in problems.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    That makes much more sense! Cleared that right up for me. Thanks so much. I was getting so frustrated. I feel less like I've wasted a bunch of time now that I've learnt something :)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    No such things as too much edge padding, its a ridiculous sentiment.
    Huh okay, my bad. So it doesn't matter when edge padding causes overlapping (of other edge padding)?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    Huh okay, my bad. So it doesn't matter when edge padding causes overlapping (of other edge padding)?

Edge padding won't overlap other edge padding, it will just meet in the middle.