Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Garrosh Hellscream

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Gardini polycounter lvl 13
Hi Guys, I'm not used to posting my stuff here at polycount, ... anyway
I did this in the last 2 weeks, any advice is welcome and I really appreciated.
Thank you

Garrosh Hellscream Fan Art from Blizzard
Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Replies

• Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    modeling looks good but texture wise you've got a lot of wasted uv space and materials don't read at all, everything looks metallic skin and pants included...

you could read THIS to help in learning about making speculars and you could also try to optmize your UVs better by overlapping tings like the shoulderpad's horns and other parts.
    Diffuse could also use a bit of work by better defining wear and tear and adding some color variations on skin ect.

i'm no pro in this but hope it helps!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    The Metal looks like tinfoil,your spec needs a lot of work, unless that's your alpha... If it is, why are you showing it? No one really cares about the alpha channel lol...
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I have to echo the comment regarding the metal. It really feels like you applied a picture of metal you found online and then just blew the spec out on it. It looks like foil because of that. The specular in general needs more work as right now it's just like you through some color balance layers on top of your diffuse and called it a day. There isn't much thought behind it.

One of the things I would have done personally, is split my textures up by material more. Right now in marmoset you have everything on one sheet which means your specular map all has the same settings on the power. You can't adjust the skin on it's own because it will adjust the metal, and the cloth, etc. If you split them up you may have more control. Also, there are a number of props that could be mirrored from one side to another and save UV texture space.

The model itself is good but the UV layout and texture need more work. Also, while I personally can enjoy a good ol Greentooth, it really stands out on Garrosh.
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys!

@Fnitrox Thank you for the read, I will read it all o/
    Your comment helped, belive me ;)

@AlexCatMasterSupreme
    tinfoil, I google it cuz I never hear that word before, I'm not a native english speaker....anyway I understand your comment and thank you...!
    Poor Alpha, why people don't care about it :(
    I don't post Alpha anymore lol

@praetus Thank you for you comment !
    No there is no picture, everything is by hand, and I agree about the metal and the spec and skin I should work on it, and I will.

I tryed to work the material in the spec value cuz I bought the marmoset toolbag this last week and I don't found a way to apply multi material, I'm learning to work with it yet.
    I'm looking for a good workflow to work with flipped uv's, and bake without problems :|
    (Fast with Qualify without problems with bake)

So about the Greentooth it's kind a tribute, cuz I learned alot here and I feel it's a duty to put it in my jobs ;)

Thank for the comments guys
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You're throwing thousands upon thousands of triangles on the chains, yet the shoulder things are 8 sided?
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snader, Hey thanks for the comment...
    I think I understand your comment about the chain compared with horns, you are right.
    I need to better manage my polys in the right places. That's why I post, I'm looking to improve my work thank you ;)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Multi materials in Marmoset is kind of tricky. Rather than different material IDs, make them separate objects. You can apply different materials to different objects in marmoset only, so once you Detach and properly name things it makes it easier.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    A couple of things:

-Like everyone has said, your specular information is all over the place. His skin looks like it's made out of foil and the metal looks like it's factory new. Basically, like mentioned above, everything reads as the same material and it's causing him to look flat.

-I'd bake the chains going around the arms into the arm itself and even consider having the chains coming off of the arm as a an alpha card. The amount of resources your giving them right now is insane. The chains coming off of the horn/ shoulder pads makes total sense but you're throwing a disproportionate amount of verts into the chain links that could, and should, be spent in other areas for better deformation and a smoother silhouette.

-For a character that, seemingly, has been through battle - his gear is looking very new. I would expect to see damage around where spikes have been driven through leather and bone as well. It makes those elements seem as if they're floating. In general, though, it seems like his entire body (gear, skin, clothing, etc.) has never touched the ground. for a guy with a literal ton of steel and spikes, it looks like he's never had to fight anyone.

-There seems to be a lot of details modeled out that probably don't need as they aren't adding a ton to your character's silhouette. It could be because of the spec info mentioned previously, but, things like the buttons and spikes on his belt are just reading as flat even though they probably have ~100 tris devoted to them.

-I'd consider creating a lighting map to lightly overlay on top of your diffuse texture to help pop out details from your normal map. If you do, use it sparingly as too much baked in info can screw with the effects of a normal map.

I outlined it with an asset I did before:
    Beefheart_TextureBreakdown.jpg

But AFISHER's workflow may be more fitting for this style of character (from the DotA challenge - i believe):

gradientbaketut.jpg
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @praetus: Thank man I'll take a look! ;)

@Gav : I'll try this workflow on my textures
    I've never done lowpoly chains , I tried to do the way you mentioned, but it looks really sad....
    I lost alot of the silhouette without the chains, but I admit it's insane polycount for games with it....even for the new ones. Anyway
    I really appreciate your comment, Thank you!
  • arhimond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav, what program to use to create Light map and what settings were used?
  • arhimond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav, which program you use and what settings to create Light map?
  • san30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    san30 null
    Gav, which setting you use to create Hue shift Map ?