Home Technical Talk

Anno 2070 terrain

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
Hey all!

I was just thinking the other day, when i played anno 2070...how does one make terrain like that? More specifically, how does one make rocks like those?

From what i understand, they procedurally generate map.
Also, it seems like you have main terrain, and then several rock meshes on top of mountains. But these rock meshes are giving me a problem. At first glance, it looks as if there are just tons of unique meshes combined and intersected with the main terrain mesh.

But how would one approach doing them? I know it depends a lot on engine, but lets say if that wasn't the problem, how would one do it? Do you make several meshes of those rocks and then just put them together (maybe something similar to what Choco does in his tuts)?

I'm just asking this because this doesn't seem to be hand placed, since it's generated map.

This means every mountain is a bit different, so you have infinite possibilities. So it doesn't look like they used modular approach. Or did they?
So, in any case, any ideas how would one approach creating and implementing those kind of rocks with terrain for game like this anno 2070?

Anno_2070_PC_Screen_8.jpg
318932015.jpg
anno2070-002.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like a combination of a height map for the terrain and a handful of rock static meshes to add detail.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Yeah, looks something like that to me as well.

Still, i wonder, since it's generated, do they procedurally place them onto height map terrain, and if so, do they make great number of really small rocks that they put together (as secondary rock layer), or do they just make bigger number of larger rock formation.

And it still blends really nicely.

Especially the last picture. It looks like they have a whole lot of these small rock meshes, but it almost look like almost all are unique. Or is it just good placement of them that make it appear there are so many unique rocks?

Anyhow, tnx for comment!