Home Technical Talk

Strange noise when rendering

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
So I just built a new pc. has a gtx 570, 8gb ram, intel i7. antec 750 gamer series psu. 120gb ssd and 2 tb seagate drive.

Anyways, I'm trying to render in max 2013 and it starts to make a long beeping noise as i render. still renders fine, but the noise is worrysome. Runs games and other apps just fine. anyone else ever run into this?

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    It sounds like it could potentially be a temperature warning from your motherboard. Rendering puts heavy load on your CPU so there could be a problem with your heat sink. Are you using the crappy heat sink intel gives you? Or did you buy an aftermarket one?

I would recommend running a test. Download coretemp and check your CPU temperatures, and prime95 which will max out all your cores to 100% load. Your CPU at idle(nothing running) should be around 20-30 degrees C, and under full load it should not go above 70 degrees C.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    It's a weird chirping sound isn't it? I've had it on a ton of different pcs over many years. Always when ur rendering or calculating something heavy. iv also gotten similar sounds but less audible on some pcs when iv rotated viewports in 3dapps. Don't think it's anything to worry about since all machines I've had this on performed well. Not sure what it is though
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    beeping noise from your speakers you mean? or beeps from the mother board like bardler pointed out. Do what he said. And if the cores go on 64 degrees(celsius) or so and it stays stable at that in full load then you might want to check the temp alarm in bios and raise the threshold to 70 so you don't get the sound anymore or check a temp monitor software that you might already have installed. 64 isnt much when it comes to an I7. Over 70 is to worry. 20-30 well that depends on the ambient temp.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ya, good call guys. didn't dawn on me it might be the alarm. It usually runs like 32-38 C without any crazy stuff going on. I'll do a check on it when I'm rendering. Have a suspicion its set low. thanks!