Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] WH40K ChainSword

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
Hello, this is my first thread on Polycount. So I guess I'll introduce myself and go from there. I just turned 18 and like to model :D. Okay now that we're done being social-

Lets get on to this freestyle Chain Sword (freestyle - mainly due to not having skills and/or confidence of modeling a reference word for word). The situation is I've hit a creative block with this piece as well as have some minor questions/issues and would love critiques.

Here's my main reference for the whole thing (while I used tons of other references to substitute parts I felt I couldn't model accurately on the main reference)

Warhammer-40000-Space-Marine-CHAINSWORD-1041428.jpg

And here's my current progress through the high poly

hrh7x2.jpg
n54hg1.jpg

My primary concerns are about the gripped handle as I want to redo that entirely - I have no clue on how to model that grip tape effect according to the main reference ( Or if that's viable to do in 3D Studio Max [only 3d package I'm fluent in atm] )

And my minor questions are about the small bolts - I was wondering if I should have had Unwrapped the instanced bolts before painting them on and then overlap them in the UV square I assume

TL;DR looking for critiques :) particularly concerning the Handle, Wings on the top, and very bottom of the Sword (bottom hilt?) and if these things fit into the models style at all

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks really short. Other than that i like the details.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, guess I've been staring at this too long to not notice that T_T, thanks. I guess out of these what would you consider the most appropriate size.

I'm also curious if because the blades are so big on the sword that it creates an illusion of being a lot smaller than normal. idk hehe.

alond5.jpg
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i guess im acting expert here since im probably the nerdiest wh40k nerd out there.

I would say D really. It mimics the proportions of a sword the most. Some might argue that C or even B might be appropriate if you are following the acctuall miniatures. I think for most accurate references you should really check out SpaceMarine by Vigil Games published by THQ. I feel they have captured the look and feel of the Warhammer universe the closest (yet!). Good luck man! Hope to see your progress.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay sweet, I guess it's kind of stupid of me to not of had played their game and model this weapon hehe, I'll go ahead and check it out. I just love 40k concept art :P and the last time I played one of their games was the first Dawn of War.

And I guess I looked at the ForgeWorld's model too much considering this should be more leaned towards 3rd person / fps

I'm glad your a wh40k nerd :)!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I think it depends on your exact reference - from what I remember, there are varying sizes of chainswords. Space Marine heroes will have massive swords, while back in Necromunda Gangers will be sporting nearly dagger-sized chainswords.. I think the Imperial Guard and various support units have medium-sized swords as well.

I think both can look cool.. but yeah, it's been a while ;)
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting :)! Maybe I'll just get a good idea of the over all details and forms I want then make medium and large sized versions. I wouldn't want anybody left out :3.