Home General Discussion

Masonry...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
This is probably the most bland topic you will read all day. But I discovered recently I know absolutely nothing about masonry, which is strange considering I spend most of my time making buildings.

It seems like having basic masonry knowledge could really help, especially when doing ruined city's and destructibility. I was wondering if anyone knew any reference books on this sort of stuff?

A lot of stuff online is really theory focused, where are all the dam pictures?

Also as you can see I'm having a adrenalin filled weekend thinking about the structure of walls...

foreveralone.png

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not being helpful but this was just too good an opportunity

forever-a-stone.jpg
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here?

on the non-smart ass side of things, I know how you feel. I now know more about power lines than I ever thought I would.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    There are tons of videos describing how to build concrete block walls.
    I think I watched most of them before working on my foundation for my old house.
    Google search "laying concrete block" , "laying brick" or even "concrete slab wall construction"

Actually I find the stuff interesting, and can now build house foundations :)
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    I think you need to learn the secret handshakes first.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put very simply, mason cement provides an even base for bricks to uniformly distribute weight and avoids leaving spaces for fluid (including air, which is considered a fluid) from eroding the gaps between the bricks. It is designed to bind bricks together, like glue. It also prevents the penetration of pests. Most type N masonry cement is rated to a compression rate of 1000 lbs per square inch. Compared to the bricks, mason cement is weak, but is sufficiently strong for non load-bearing walls. Mortar, like most cement is very high compression strength, but poor tensile strength. Most such walls break at the mortar when destroyed.

There's also the mortar-less construction where stone is shaped to a gap-less fit with surrounding stones. The Incas used such a method and the remnants of those structures demonstrates their durability.

For stone roads you might want to look up Roman roads since they are the basis for most modern pavement.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Overlord wrote: »
    Put very simply, mason cement provides an even base for bricks to uniformly distribute weight and avoids leaving spaces for fluid (including air, which is considered a fluid) from eroding the gaps between the bricks. It is designed to bind bricks together, like glue. It also prevents the penetration of pests. Most type N masonry cement is rated to a compression rate of 1000 lbs per square inch. Compared to the bricks, mason cement is weak, but is sufficiently strong for non load-bearing walls. Mortar, like most cement is very high compression strength, but poor tensile strength. Most such walls break at the mortar when destroyed.

There's also the mortar-less construction where stone is shaped to a gap-less fit with surrounding stones. The Incas used such a method and the remnants of those structures demonstrates their durability.

For stone roads you might want to look up Roman roads since they are the basis for most modern pavement.

To add to this, with block walls you use the above method but add rebar and concrete in the voids for strength, Those take forever to take down with a sledgehammer.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have "Modern Practical Masonry" from:
    http://www.donhead.com/

Note: Modern is late 1920's, when it was originally published. I bought it for the details on geometry. Have your compass handy.