Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space lady

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
Basically this is to go with the noob enviroment challenge, but it was off topic there so I decided to make a thread for it.
So I decided I was going to make a character over the week end, and I was browseing the internet for a concept, when I found a message on my face book from "Facebook user", it didnt have a link on their name so I got no idea who sent me it, but this is it:
226_max.jpg
It was sent to me in July, idk who sent it, anywho im modeling it, useing references off the internet and some of Troy's (Haz's) artwork as reference box modeled a base mesh:
Space-girl,%20base.png

And yeah its crap, but oddly enough I spent more time on it than sculpting, tomarrow I plan to change that, this is the sculpt:
Space-girl.png
Space-girl-2.png

The two main references I used where-
TKP_2.jpg
For the hips and:
Architect_2.jpg
For everything else, both of those being done by the wonderful Troy, seriously need to check him out,http://www.hazardousarts.com/Main.htm For woman he is imho untouchable.
Now for my model, its far from complete, gotta change some things, I think the rear end should be slightly larger and less flat. Also though their not shown, the hands and feet are still just as they are on the base model, though smoothed and formed a little bit. The arms don't look very functional atm. As for the chest I know shes pretty flat chested, this is mainly for two reasons, first the suit would hold that in pretty good, and second because though she is highly Stylized, she is not Sexualized, that is one thing I do not want. Think Elizabeth Shaw from Prometheus.
new_prometheusmoviestill_shaw_07.jpg
I was wondering, any chance that someone knows a free place to host images that aren't messed up once they're uploaded?
Yeah... thats the end for day one of my Space Lady.

Edit: Final edit for the day, night y'all.
Space-girl-3.png

Replies

• nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The artist is Bruno Leblanc. I was thinking about making her too :) Cool concept for sure.

http://cghub.com/images/view/130349/
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Concept is pretty dang fantastic. Good luck!
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, update, obviously allot is still missing and everything is still very much a work in progress.
    Space-girl-4.png
    Space-girl-5.png
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    So you randomly received a private message on Facebook, from an unnamed Facebook user, and this private message contained this concept? That's the story on how you found it?

Why not cite where its from and/or take ownership in it if its yours?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    XYZ wrote: »
    So you randomly received a private message on Facebook, from an unnamed Facebook user, and this private message contained this concept? That's the story on how you found it?

Why not cite where its from and/or take ownership in it if its yours?
    Because using Google Image Search is too hard :D
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No its not mine, NYX702 found it, and linked it, here and this is the screen of my facebook for proof.
    Space-girl-proof.png
    Now that I look at it again idk why I thought it was just the image linked to me, I just clicked it and downloaded it, in any case, I am not Inkertone.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, final update for today, got some basic gear in, some kind of crit, comments, thoughts on the model, or I guess the concept w/e, are much appreciated.
    Space-girl-6.png
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shoulder pad/straps are looking good. I am not sure if its the screenshot or not but the top part appears a little wider in the concept. I could also be fooled by the lack of helmet.

Are you planning on making a head under the helmet or just the helmet? I would try and get a temp helmet on ASAP. IMO it might throw off your proportions if you add it too much later.

I feel like the forearms are a little long. And the Hands are pretty tiny.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    scrap the suit for now, get the body right, then do the suit.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    _gir is correct, get the anatomy and proportions correct before bothering with the details, even the mid-level details. There's a lot to correct in what you have right now, take a look at some realistic references, even if her figure will be stylized.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Space-girl-7.png

Ok @_gir and @ysalex, scrapped the suit, went back to before I started working on that (kept a save from then thank God). So I re sized the torso some, to make the upper body slightly larger, made the hands slightly larger (Thanks nyx, but I think I still need to make the arms shorter, maybe even more so now >.<), and detailed them some, cleaning up some flaws there, also all over her I added a bit more fat/muscle in some places such as the biceps, hips, shoulders, calfs, and a few other places that I don't remember, mainly to try and give her a bit more realistic look, as before her arms could not function in real life. What do you guys think? here's the original body before I started changing it, for reference.
    Space-girl-old-8.png
    Now that I look at it, I did something to the back, idk what happened, need to fix that... in any case thoughts crits ect? thanks for helping me out guys.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    You need to look at more anatomy.
    You don't want me drawing on your pics cause I am b-grade, but here goes.
    Some of your references don't match up but for the most part the main one has its booty popping about as much as my paintover. So fix the profile and re-post, and don't even bother with the arms until you have the torso/legs nailed.
    cLRsI.png
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I changed it quite a bit, but not as much as your paint over, mainly because the reason she is that way is 1, I want her realistic (ie, petite woman don't have massive melons and/or ass), 2 the suit would push allot of that in, that being said I see your point, and have changed her profile quite allot, also changed arround some of her anatomy. Also I still need to bring the belly out some I think. Oddly enough this website:http://thechive.com/2012/03/23/bringin-sexy-back-30-photos/ has some good references for backs, lol.
    Space-girl-8.png
    I also removed her arms so yall could do better paint overs in the future, and here is the pre-change version for reference.
    Space-girl-7.png
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should work more on this body proportions before you will start moving to the space suit. Arms in my opinion are a little to thin, same about hand. And you should place head while doing body, I think you will be able to fill caracter a little bit better. Keep working! :)

Cheers.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fantom, atm I'm focused on the body but multiple people have said I need to put a head on it, if for nothing more than scale, I probably will be here in a second, also does anyone know how to do that thing where you drag a copy of the model around to do renders of the front back and side? I've just been putting them in photoshop and compiling that way.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably the last update for today, got stuff I gotta do.
    Space-girl-9.png
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    To get multiple views of same model in viewport just disable edit mode (right click model, click 'edit' button or press T) Now each time you LMB drag and drop in viewport while in draw mode (Q), it will place your current model on the 2.5d canvas, you can continue to position it using move/scale/rotate (W/E/R) until you enter edit mode again or start dropping another tool on the canvas.

I tried another paintover while keeping in mind you wanted her, "petite"
    The proportions are that of a 140lb 5"11 female that desperately needs to eat a hamburger.
    hrOYY.png