Home General Discussion

Anyone have any luck on the unity asset store?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Seeing any sales?

Replies

• Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I have another question too for anybody reading.
    Has anybody actually bought something from the Unity store?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I've picked up a lot of stuff from the asset store. Mostly scripts and things to help speed along development.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I've got some really kickass shader stuff...Keen's shader fusion..is awesome..actually testing out Xeffect editor for my current gig. also got a plug for importing vertex animation..lots of good stuff on there for improving pipeline..
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    skylebones wrote: »
    I've picked up a lot of stuff from the asset store. Mostly scripts and things to help speed along development.

likewise. thats what i love about unity.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, it seems like pipeline tools are the most popular/best sellers, art assets seem like it would be a tougher segment to sell in that store, total speculation on my part though.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems like pipeline tools are the most popular/best sellers, art assets seem like it would be a tougher segment to sell in that store, total speculation on my part though.
    Most of the art-assets tend to fall in the lower mark area of things, I have seen a couple of tile-set pieces with textures that equate to "Take Diffuse and Generate Spec, Normal, etc from CrazyBump", going for a pretty penny.

Not exactly going to sell, when compared to saaaay, a Vertex Painter.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I was thinking of making some cheap good quality assets to help along with some bills I need paid. Itd be great portfolio practice and id love to help people make games
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    frell wrote: »
    I was thinking of making some cheap good quality assets to help along with some bills I need paid. Itd be great portfolio practice and id love to help people make games

You should try Turbo Squid as well, I've had some decent luck selling models on there, nothing amazing but enough to make it worthwhile.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I'd suggest turbosquid as well. Its pretty hated by artist, but a couple years ago I uploaded some super generic prop models like chairs, a car, some military stuff... things I'd never put in a portfolio but had laying around. Just to see what would happen. I've had a few sales every month and within that time made over a thousand from it.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »

Its a great way to make some side income. The market for assets is low end, so I would avoid making a masterpiece and expecting to sell it for a higher price.

Find a sweet spot for quality vs. time invested and you can make a very good hourly rate.

There's a huge demand for mobile-ready assets. Also, "hand painted" and retro/arcadey stuff sells well.