Home General Discussion

Face Customization - Question to the Industry

Pedro Toledo
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Pedro Toledo polycounter lvl 17
I would like to ask all the industry peers here in the forum what kind of solution you guys use, or recommend,for face customization in terms of mesh changes.

When you have sliders for changing the shape of the nose, mouth, chin, jaw, etc, how do you prefer doing it? Bones driven deformation or morph targets?

If bones, how do you deal with the extra number of bones in the hierarchy? Do you bake the changes and remove the extra bones after the character is selected?

If morphs, how do you deal with the deformations necessary on beards/facial hair, or other meshes that may go around the jaw line and mouth, that may clip or float depending on the deformation of these areas? Do you create morph targets for these other meshes as well? So, at the end, you have these huge matrices of different morphs for each mesh? Or you just make bulkier meshes that intersect no matter how extreme the morph is?

I understand the impositions of NDA's and I don't expect you guys to tell any secrets of your projects, but if you could speak in general terms I would love to hear.

Thanks.