Home Technical Talk

Help with graphiccard!

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx quad damage
Hey guys at the moment i run a i7 3930k processor with 16 gb ram. And i have a GTX 580 3gb for working and playing. What i want to know if there is a possibility to go gtx 580 sli with a quadro card?

Thanks in advance!

Wisam

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need identical cards to use SLI.

If you install two different cards, you can use one to display to one monitor and the other to another, but you can't SLI them afaik.

Why do you want a quadro anyway? For game dev they will provide little benefit, especially if you're going to run any game-based editors like UDK etc, a quadro will provide worse performance for something like UDK than a game orientated GPU.

Quadro's are for the CAD/Industrial design segments, and optimized to do things like display a massive amount of wireframe onscreen with anti-aliasing.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    The problem is, im running a gtx 580 3gb. and as soon as i hit 10 000 polygons my whole system slows down. I mean really really really Slow down, i basically get 5 fps :S
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    wirrexx wrote: »
    The problem is, im running a gtx 580 3gb. and as soon as i hit 10 000 polygons my whole system slows down. I mean really really really Slow down, i basically get 5 fps :S

Then something is wrong with your drivers, or OS, or nvidia settings, or something. I have an older q9550 quad core, a 470 2gb, and 8gb of ram and I can handle 1.5 million polys in Maya no issues at all. In Zbrush I can push a single sub tool to 6 million with out much stuttering.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    We don't even know what program you are running but I am not aware of a single 3d package that supports SLI, so performance will increase by zero with a second card.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Could it possibly be an issue with RAM moreso than the graphics card? Does the program your using have an option in the settings to set the amount of RAM it can use?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Then something is wrong with your drivers, or OS, or nvidia settings, or something. I have an older q9550 quad core, a 470 2gb, and 8gb of ram and I can handle 1.5 million polys in Maya no issues at all. In Zbrush I can push a single sub tool to 6 million with out much stuttering.
    zBrush doesn't use the GPU, only the CPU. So having a low graphic card is not a problem.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Well i mainly use, Maya 2012, zbrush and Photoshop, and it's a hell. I mean it's barely 7 month old PC. It's killing me. I cant even do HP work so i can bake done. My system totally locks up!

Shadownami92: I dont know if Maya2012 does have that!
  • Cihan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cihan polycounter lvl 6
    Same issue here however in Maya 2013, since I bought GTX 570 my framerate is really dropping down, even selecting a highpoly (preview) mesh takes at least 10 seconds (argghhh)

My system: CPU: Q6600 2.4, 6GB RAM
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    no such issues in maya with a gtx 560ti, 580 or 660 for me.

id imagine its a driver or configuration issue