Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi SMG Design

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hey guys, i have been working in this smg between my free moments and i am plretty happy with it, however i am always searching for new ways to make my art better, so i would love to see how i can improove this weapon, it feels some kind of boring, however i dont know how to deal with that. Maybe you can help me. The weapon is made from a really basic concept i made
34ovqtz.jpg

Replies

• hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I like your start so far. I think the side is still a little too planar, but as you are just starting there is more to be expected! Are you planning to bake this? Because I think some edges are a little too tight for baking.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Yes, i was planning to bake it into a low poly so i cant practice my texture skills some more. Could you tell me what edges should i soften?
    I have been thinking in adding some details in the sides without overloading it, like the guns in mass effect
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I think you could soften the edges more at the handguard and the iron sights.
    It makes your bake look better, cause softer edges transfer to the normal map more easily. You may also look at this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103216

hardedges.jpg

hardedges1.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    THe loops are actually smothed that way, its just the screen capture that makes them seen tight. Anyways heres a small progress, i got some problems in the sights, i will work it out as soon as i have some time. I dont want the model to be over-detailed.
    I would like some critics on how i could make it more interesting, or whats coming out wrong. Heres it:
    11w654z.jpg

Cheers polycounters
  • Topcross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where it's going, however, it is missing any kind of indication of a mag (or something similar if your gun won't fire actual bullets). Try to look at modern guns and use some of the elements present on those on your own gun.

Also on most guns the iron sights are more towards the end of the guns, yours are almost in the middle, which would make it rather difficult to aim. :)
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    This is actually intended to work as a p90, the clip is intended to be that thing over the handle, i am still thinking how i could make it look more like a mag
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    If you take a look at your reference piece, the p90, you can see that the magazine is pretty distinct in that it looks like you can take it out easily.

Without knowing too much about the gun, seeing a switch or lever next to something that does not look like it is riveted in place makes me think that the switch might allow me to either detach or loosen the piece next to it.

I would suggest you approach the magazine design in a similar way. Maybe make it looks like it slides in from the back or something, and definitely make it look more like I can pop it off easily. Right now it does not look distinct from the other forms of the body of the gun.

Looking good! Keep going!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    14r41c.jpg
    I added the button to deatach the mag near the handle where the triger is as its way easier for the shooter to use it that way and i changed the mag shape to reasamble the shape of a mag. I would like to see what you think of it
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Agree with bob. Think about holding your gun. Is it going to be comfy/practical? Think about the functions of a gun too. I don't see an ejection port, and no way of taking it apart for maintenance. I like the design though. I think that inclining the rear grip like on an sa80 would also make it feel less planar.
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    What indicates that that button is to release the magazine? On the reference piece it's pretty clear because it's actually a little lever that will open the catch for the magazine. Think about moving it closer so that the button can have an assumed role attached to it.

Also having it in closer proximity makes more sense since I assume your hand has to be someplace close to the magazine to remove it and then replace it with another one? Or is it designed to release with your forward hand and then replace the magazine with the other hand? Either way it is unclear. The point of the button in close proximity was to make the magazine stand out as a magazine in the first place, which is not happening yet.

Another thing you could do to make it distinct would be to make it feel more like it's being slid inside of something. On the P90 we saw that it sits beneath the sight rail. You could easily do the same thing here and clear up the other problem that was brought up earlier in the thread, where your rear iron sights are too far forward.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe this has been mentioned already, but why are there wires going into the barrel of the gun? If that's is the barrel I suppose... The design is a bit confusing to me.