Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet 2013 Character - Jean-Marie Scheid

PDC
polygon
Offline / Send Message
PDC polygon
Well today's the deadline, so here's my final submission! I had a great time working on this, and really hope they like it.

JMScheid_1_pose.jpg
JMScheid_2_Aframe.jpg
JMScheid_2_wireframe.jpg

Replies

• PDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    Hey all, opening up a thread for my ArenaNet Class of 2013 Internship test. I'll post more shots of the final next week after the test is over, but for now, wanted to get some shots up in hopes of getting some last-minute feedback and/or polishing advice.

Here we go:
    JMScheid_ArenaNet2013_shot1_pose.jpg
    JMScheid_ArenaNet2013_shot2_A.jpg

Texture Sheets:
    JMScheid_ArenaNet2013_texDIFF.jpg

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts or advice on this.
    I'm sure everyone understands how this kind of opportunity could change an artist's life.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    What's with the overzealous watermarking?
  • PDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    Yeah, sorry about that, I was a bit too much in my head about these being for a competition.
    Took 'em down, so they should be clearer now.

[EDIT]: Just checked out your portfolio, Neil. Holy cow dude, love your work!
  • PDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    Spin!!
    JMScheid_ArenaNet2013_anim.gif

Any crits or comments would be hugely appreciated. Coming up on the final hours
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Your work is very good. But once you asked...
    -her face is a bit masculine, the original concept is more feminine and less rounded
    -you cold enlarge a bit the arm/ leg fur
    -the fur looks great, but her hair is a bit flat comparing with the rest. I don´t know the budget, but you could add some more work on the hair.
    -"leg armor" is a bit high on yours, the concept has less unprotected skin on the upper leg
    -Her arm looks weird (forearm looks too long) but the concept is like that. But I think you could make the forearm a bit shorter once in 3d this is more evident.
    I don´t have much else to say, you have done a great job on that.
    Here is the link for the concept for who want to check it . ;)
  • PDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    fabio brasilien: Thanks so much for your comments! I've been staring at this so long I've become pretty snowblind to some of those details.

On the hair topic, I totally get it. The competition brief said that the challenge wasn't really about that, so I specifically gave the hair a low priority.

I'm gonna take one more pass on these little details and will submit it tonight.
    Thanks for pickin' my knits : )
  • PDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    I updated the diffuse and spec maps slightly according to suggestions about the leather being too shiny on the sleeves, and tweaked a few minor things before sending her in!

Here's a few more updated shots:
    JMScheid_1_pose.jpg
    JMScheid_3_details.jpg

Thanks guys for the last-minute crits. A full project page is available on my website, here.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I really like you final presentation and how you managed to get the pose from the concept spot on. The only critical thing missing are some wires and maybe the high poly sculpt.