Home Technical Talk

"Mismatch Points-order in the imported mesh was detected and auto-corrected"

Hey everyone,

I'm having some trouble when importing a mesh back into Zbrush. Here is the problem.

I'm exporting my sculpted asset at the lowest subdivision and importing it into 3Ds max to unwrap the object. Once unwrapped I'm exporting the .obj and reimporting it into zbrush. I then receive the error, "Mismatch Points-order in the imported mesh was detected and auto-corrected." When I check the UVs everything looks correct but in reality all the of verts locations have been changed. Basically, Its like the puzzle is still complete but all the individual puzzle pieces have been rotated independently of one another. As seen below. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

RmuAk.gif

12.jpg

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    here is a trick, convert your mesh to editable mesh, add an edit poly modifier and rexport. works for me every time
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    another workaround is using uv master, copy the uvs before reimport and paste after
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys I'll give those a shot!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this happens when the vertex order is re-written by max on import or export.

I've seen this happen on a few faces and on every face, like your example. In the case of a few faces, you can just detach them and target weld the verts in the right order, it highlights in blue the sister vert so you can get the order right. But that won't help for that kind of nightmare...

For the jumbled up nightmare, if you have a version of the mesh and UV's before exporting, like a base mesh you created in max before going to zbrush and the meshes are identical in vertex count (vert position can be different), you can use an old plug-in for max called Morphix. It will reorder the verts on the first mesh to match the other then you can save/load the UV's in max.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the funny part is, its not changing the vertex order, just the order of the uvs. you can still morph everything so the vertexorder is still correct. it is a really strange thing, if you go through another program such as 3dcoat it will be allright...
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    If your uv verts are somehow 1 off from where you expect this can happen.

In zbrush under UV Map, there is a Cycle UV button, which will step through the order of the uvs per face, this will probably fix your problem.

I tend to prefer Ruz method though, edit mesh->edit poly before export, it forces the underlying mesh node in max to be tidier.

Good luck!
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far guys I haven't had any luck.

@CW I will try your idea tonight and see what happens.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    the funny part is, its not changing the vertex order, just the order of the uvs. you can still morph everything so the vertexorder is still correct. it is a really strange thing, if you go through another program such as 3dcoat it will be allright...
    Weird, you are right, it seems to be only the UV verts that are being jumbled up.

I went back to the old mesh that I had (a hand) and I was able to use the imported mesh from zbrush as a morph target, no problem. But loading the UV's directly from the good layout to the messed up layout didn't work unless I ran it through morphix first.

Such a funky problem.

Hopefully the edit mesh/edit poly trick will fix it the next time we run into it.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the weird shading error I get sometimes with imported meshes from Zbrush, where every face is shaded individually and the only way to fix it is to apply an edit normals modifier... hummm...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    this is verging on thread necromancy but ive a fair bit of experience with this...

from what I've seen, the uv's get shattered and then each UV face gets flipped vertically (presumably using the same logic that means zbrush stores UVs flipped)

if you use the gw obj exporter/importer and ensure the zbrush preset is active for every import/export you do with zbrush this almost never happens.

Knowing this doesn't help once it's broken but you soon learn to be careful.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    So far guys I haven't had any luck.

@CW I will try your idea tonight and see what happens.

did you try yet?

I swear it has fixed funky imports here a few times. :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    poopipe wrote: »
    this is verging on thread necromancy but ive a fair bit of experience with this...

from what I've seen, the uv's get shattered and then each UV face gets flipped vertically (presumably using the same logic that means zbrush stores UVs flipped)

if you use the gw obj exporter/importer and ensure the zbrush preset is active for every import/export you do with zbrush this almost never happens.

Knowing this doesn't help once it's broken but you soon learn to be careful.

wrong, happens to me all the time, with the zbrush preset.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Neox wrote: »
    wrong, happens to me all the time, with the zbrush preset.

well that sucks, it's been a reliable fix for me. There must be more to it