Home Technical Talk

Triangle focused head topology?

Gestalt
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
Ok so I'm currently working on something that requires me to figure out a face topology and pretty much stick to it, and the end result will be triangulated.

I always see head topology based on quad edge flow, but what about for triangulated meshes? When you triangulate an even quad mesh you have uneven triangles, new edges can flow all over the place, sometimes giving directionality in the specular.

for an example of what I mean, a normal quad based topology might get you something like this:

triangulation-18.png

and even triangles would be more like this:

WzuP4.jpg?1

There are still edges that could flow but the mesh is more uniform.

So does anyone have an example of good triangulated head topology?

I have lots of examples of good quad based topology but none that are triangulated. Or am I looking too far into something that doesn't matter?

What about for morph targets and face animation? I'd imagine having the even distribution of verts with the tri based grid structure would be better for those types of deformations, but I haven't seen much on the topic.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    whats your target platform/gametype/chameradistance?
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    I'm actually working on a project of my own, and before I go too far making an alginate mold of my face with points placed all over it, I'd like to be sure that I understand the mentality people have for head topology.

What I've seen so far mostly ignores the idea of triangulation entirely, the examples I've seen are based on working with quads and subdividing quads, but I'd like to make my base mesh with triangles with the option for game engines and tessellation in the future.