Home General Discussion

Are we 'anchored' to our desks?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
vreza polycounter lvl 12
I just had a meetup with some friends. Some of them are in digital media/web design/graphic design fields. One of the topics that came up was mobile working experience: 'co-working', nomad-style, coffee-shop-hopping, hackathon, live-collab, etc. At some point an argument was made that guys like 3d artist, animators, video artist, don't really have this kind of options. That we are dependent on our second/third monitors and huge powerful desktop towers to do what we do. That we are anchored to our desks and machines. This got me thinking:

Are we? Is this really the case? Do any of you do the things mentioned above? If you don't, do you wish to be digital nomads? Are you sick of the view from your desks?
If you do, details please. Gear/specs? Workflow? Do you wake up one morning and decide to do, say, some light UV unwrapping on your laptop over at Starbucks? Are you more or less productive that way?

Or is this all just silly?

tl;dr Is it possible for 3D artists to be digital nomads?

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Errhm i sure hope so, i live my computer. I need all my settings hotkey bindings and all applications to work.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Digital nomads? I hope you slapped the hipster glasses off their ironically moustached faces.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    The other day i did some planning and sketching in a coffee shop while i was in town. I think if i had a decent laptop i would probably do more work there. Most, especially the smaller ones rather than chain franchises, have really nice atmospheres. Could be costly though....
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    I did most of my college final year project on a netbook on the bus. Didn't do any of the assets, but as it was a mobile-targeted game and it wasn't very complex more than half the code was written on that 7in monster.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I just got a tablet convertible laptop with a wacom digitizer to work on. Seems fine.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    if im out i got a sketchbook, if im doing work that requires the computer i rather do that at home, since i got a nice comfortable chair, good speakers and music, and of course 3 moniters
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Ninjas wrote: »
    I just got a tablet convertible laptop with a wacom digitizer to work on. Seems fine.
    Same here. SketchbokPro, PS , Sculptris, and Wings 3d. I use it to play around during lunch, between classes, and when mt kids are playing games on my desktop.
    TX2500 from HP can probably handle light Max or MAya usage, I have an old TC4400 with a crappy intel 945 video chipset, but it works.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I'd take my office over any cafe.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones wrote: »
    I'd take my office over any cafe.

And this is why we need to make our offices look like this:

big_584-600x400.jpg

or this

wb.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Almost all workplaces are like that nowadays, hell even simple stuff like accounting and such which requires at most a small calculator is never done on the road.

So I don't get this entire 'Digital Nomads' kinda ideology, and frankly, it's abit insulting to both artist and Nomads alike, with indication of lack of talent in the prior and hard-lifestyle in the latter.

Last I checked, digital artists weren't tech-tubed chimps who lived in harsh conditions and rationed food and water from day to day.
    Arcanox wrote: »
    And this is why we need to make our offices look like this:

big_584-600x400.jpg

or this

wb.jpg

I've seen many big-name companies which had studios that looked like this, minus the eye-ravaging colors, or hipster brown noise, usually more in the reds, blues and blacks, white hues.

Lets not forget a couple of color filters on these images does wonders in setting the mood.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    ^needs more chromatic aberration. :-P
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    that first picture with the pool table is mojang's new office (minecraft makers)

Ya, Ive thought about this in the past too. There are definitely days in the summer wher eI want to grab a laptop and go work outside. Honestly, If I had a decent enough laptop, I probably would, too. But, I lack it. I dont think we're tethered to our desks. You CAN do modelling and stuff on your laptop, if you have a good enough one. But, you will be slower, or your workflow will change a bit because of the lack of a second monitor. It really depends on how badly you want to go outside.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    they guy in hte 2nd pic would really fuck his backup working hunched over like that for a few months
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I don't know you have your computer and everything set up at your home/office. With your speakers and comfortable chairs. I would rather be there and comfortable rather than try to make a work space in public.

It was like trying to work in university. If you worked in the labs there, every few hours you got moved out of that room because there was a lecture. It made me super unproductive because I was always wondering when I needed to move again. In the end I just worked at home. Got a ton more work done, also there was no need for the half an hour walk into uni, although that might just be me being lazy :P
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Please do tell us more about your hardware/setup.

I care little for coffee shop collabs and uv mapping in parks but I do actually feel anchored to my desk. I'd love to have more freeform posture and ability to move around in my own appartment.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    So I don't get this entire 'Digital Nomads' kinda ideology, and frankly, it's abit insulting to both artist and Nomads alike, with indication of lack of talent in the prior and hard-lifestyle in the latter.

Are you sure your not projecting? I didn't get that from the original posters write up.

I have done coffee shops with max and zbrush. Small tablet and my lil Alienware M11x R3. Mostly it gets me out of the house instead of spending so much time alone in front of the monitor.

Though the hangouts have been great though when I am at home.

I might add I am no where near a hipster. See, hipsters actually socialize.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    samsung series 7 slate, now mode modelng meh zbrush is fine and photoshop texture work is fine as well the thing is onscreen keyboard but.... you can use this for that

artdock_by_konartist3d-d4op0es.jpg

samsung-series-7-slate.jpg

256 levels of pressure

3d19b753.jpg

and its plenty powerful enough (model by neox)

14684842.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    neox :P

how good is maya on it? i couldn't get max to run smooth enough to work with, tho 3dcoat is good an zbrush is great
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    oops maya seems to work fine i mean heres a pic of about a 700,000 tri model subd running in the window viewport 2.0 is almost a must though you should really check out artdock too.

8283f8cf.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Because of school I work on different places (classroom, someone else's place)

It's not exactly fun, battery life is a problem (working in max/PS is basicly like gaming), and altough dual monitors is more of a luxury that isn't necessary, it is annoying working on a 15inch screen with no external keyboard.

For texturing/sculpting/and so on you could just get the small bamboo tablet.

It's enough that I can move around in my own home (I don't really like being locked up in my room).
    But working outside of the house is still a major pain (in case there isn't a power outlet, and or very little space for a mouse), I can't work properly in classrooms (usually I just end up doing other things), so I don't see myself doing some modelling in the park/starbucks, it's just to annoying and cumbersome.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    i like to work at coffee shops once in a while, its nice to get out of the house and i feel like i can get more done since there are less distractions for me (TV xbox etc). i bring my laptop and a 6x8 wacom.

working on a laptop isn't as good as a desktop, so i'll usually start something at a coffee shop and then finish it at home on my desktop. i'll sometimes run into friends, or strangers will ask me what i'm doing which is cool. a waiter at the coffee shop was obviously stoned and zbrush blew his fucking mind.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Why would you want to work in a coffee shop though?
    But if it's just light work you're after then you don't need to invest much cash. Plan you work accordingly, do stuff that doesn't require specialized gear. e.g. modelling, UVing. Then you don't need to lug around the wacom either.

Then again I don't really get the appeal of working on 3D in a Starbucks. It doesn't sound very appealing. I truly pity people who have to work like that. With a few exceptions most cafes are just miserable work places lacking desk space and ergonomics. If you're truly unlucky it's noisy too and the internet isn't free.

Or skip the "digital nomad" stuff and save some money to build yourself a nice work area at home, unless your home sucks more than a coffee shop, but I hope not ;)
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    the reason I spent more time @ my desk because my PC is more powerful than my laptop,
    also sometimes you don't want public to see your stuff for some reason.

when I was a student ,I didn't have PC so my only computer was my laptop, its more fun and reasonable to work outside.
    back then most of my data still stored on one laptop ( which is not a good idea)

due to noise problem , lots of student also work at night/overnight to avoid noises, I did that when I was in college, but now I can't risk to change my sleeping habit.

for now I still do traditional art ( sketching) outside though, almost every weekend, @coffeeshop
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandro wrote: »
    Please do tell us more about your hardware/setup.

So, I just spent the rest of today setting up my laptop. It is a Thinkpad x230T. I got it with the i7, 8 gigs of ram, and the SSD because I was worried that brush lag would be an issue. It is not an issue. What is a problem is that the sensor near the edge of the screen is kind of fucked, and even after heroic efforts, it is not perfect.

That said, I think it is better than using my 12WX on my 3 year old desktop for painting. For starters, the screen is not complete shit.

I have not made a ton of assets using it yet, but it seems solid. I don't expect too much trouble.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I would honestly just feel bothered by other people, I want to have my music on 100% volume while I'm beveling and texturing ^^
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was actually wondering if I could use my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with a pen, however it didn't seem to work with my Graphire 3 pen. Any idea if its possible?
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    heh I've felt like I'm just on a computer too much lately, I've been itching to do some traditional sculpting and drawing on paper. I'd love to organize a get together of some sort but I live in Michigan currently so not many poly-counters around. So for now the polycount google hangouts are keeping me satisfied :)

But yeah I do feel like I need my desktop to get work done efficiently, perhaps I just need to buy a better laptop?
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I just spent the rest of today setting up my laptop. It is a Thinkpad x230T. I got it with the i7, 8 gigs of ram, and the SSD because I was worried that brush lag would be an issue. It is not an issue. What is a problem is that the sensor near the edge of the screen is kind of fucked, and even after heroic efforts, it is not perfect.

That said, I think it is better than using my 12WX on my 3 year old desktop for painting. For starters, the screen is not complete shit.

I have not made a ton of assets using it yet, but it seems solid. I don't expect too much trouble.

Thanks, I really like look of lennovo laptops, very sturdy and no BS design. How is pressure sensitivity/accuracy (except fucked up edges)? Is it in any way comparable to wacom tablets or is it too clumsy and rough?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well rather then the technical limitations, all the people around would annoy the crap out of me.
    when i work i want to hear what comes out of my speakers/headphones, and nothing else.
    also a reliable fast internet connection is a must have.
    and all the interaction with all the people you work with is kinda hard when everyone is in different places...
    so no working on the go for me.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandro wrote: »
    Thanks, I really like look of lennovo laptops, very sturdy and no BS design. How is pressure sensitivity/accuracy (except fucked up edges)? Is it in any way comparable to wacom tablets or is it too clumsy and rough?

I can't tell the difference in pressure sensitivity compared to my 12WX. In practice, I think I eliminated some problems I had with my desktop system WRT random stroke issues, so painting on the laptop I think is now a slightly better experience -- keep in mind my Cintiq and desktop are a bit on the old side, and my Cintiq's screen has gone very dark and desaturated.

what I really miss are the case buttons and slide strip on the cintiq.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    What your friends said is nonsense. People could make great looking art five years ago, and current laptops days are quite capable of rivaling those machines. And honestly the only time I really used dual screens was when I did webdesign and switched a crapton between source, FTP, folders, and web version (in several browsers).

Heck, my old laptop - running merely an Intel GMA 9000 series (which couldn't even run C&C Generals decently on the lowest settings) was capable of creating this sculpt in sculptris.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Just wanted to add that my ancient TC4400 hets laggy at about 500k polygons.
    I imagine that the other convertible notebooks/slates/tablets would blow mine out of the water.

BTW, the reason I use mine is I'm at school and work over 8 hours a day and have no workstation I can sculpt or draw on. I have Admin rights on all machines on campus but would be overstepping some boundries if I installed my software on them.
    With my notebook I can go to a nice quiet area and lose myself in sculpting or sketching. It beats listening to what seems to be situations lifted straight from"The IT Crowd".
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Marine wrote: »
    Digital nomads? I hope you slapped the hipster glasses off their ironically moustached faces.

HAHA. hahahhhahaha.

I'm pretty happy in my cave xD And when I get out, it's to take a break anyway! I don't lug my art around with me.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Computron wrote: »
    ^needs more chromatic aberration. :-P
    No kidding man! I honestly was expecting someone to post that up :P
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Are you sure your not projecting? I didn't get that from the original posters write up.

I have done coffee shops with max and zbrush. Small tablet and my lil Alienware M11x R3. Mostly it gets me out of the house instead of spending so much time alone in front of the monitor.

Though the hangouts have been great though when I am at home.

I might add I am no where near a hipster. See, hipsters actually socialize.
    Not projecting as much as hating the "Hiptster Deity" attitude and how something amazing was just found (not the OP mind you, but their discussion coming from their friends), I mean people have been doing this for a long time...?

I get it, working on something in a Coffee-Shop once or twice a week, or brainstorming is perfectly fine, however, from the original discussion it seems like people want to spread out or HUB in different places and not actually settle down, which just like music or movies running in the background, can break your focus on what you're doing. It's not good, it's doesn't add anything special, and unless you're in a place where it's safe, clean, and lack screaming people, don't do it!

Also, carrying around a Laptop is not Nomading, since you're going with a large baggage full of fuck-all, and looking places to plug stuff in and maybe order the occasional sandwich.
    Regarding the value of laptops, you can get a on-par laptop to an equivelent Desktop for around 1.5K, considering most peeps will pay 1K to get a high end laptop (maybe 800 or less if you build it manually) paying an extra 500 isn't too shabby, the only thing to consider will be weight.

Naturally, I have seen good enough laptops going for sub 800, minus a good graphics cards, but if you're not gaming, then you don't care for that one part.
    HAHA. hahahhhahaha.

I'm pretty happy in my cave xD And when I get out, it's to take a break anyway! I don't lug my art around with me.

I think this sums it up pretty well for me, take time away to make time later on.
    samsung series 7 slate, now mode modelng meh zbrush is fine and photoshop texture work is fine as well the thing is onscreen keyboard but.... you can use this for that

artdock_by_konartist3d-d4op0es.jpg

samsung-series-7-slate.jpg

256 levels of pressure

3d19b753.jpg

and its plenty powerful enough (model by neox)

14684842.jpg

Nice! Any ideas of you can hookup a 'glove pad' to it, and you hand? You know, one of those weird numpad looking things that attach to one of your hands with a few buttons on it?
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    No kidding man! I honestly was expecting someone to post that up :P

Not projecting as much as hating the "Hiptster Deity" attitude and how something amazing was just found (not the OP mind you, but their discussion coming from their friends), I mean people have been doing this for a long time...?

I get it, working on something in a Coffee-Shop once or twice a week, or brainstorming is perfectly fine, however, from the original discussion it seems like people want to spread out or HUB in different places and not actually settle down, which just like music or movies running in the background, can break your focus on what you're doing. It's not good, it's doesn't add anything special, and unless you're in a place where it's safe, clean, and lack screaming people, don't do it!

Also, carrying around a Laptop is not Nomading, since you're going with a large baggage full of fuck-all, and looking places to plug stuff in and maybe order the occasional sandwich.
    Regarding the value of laptops, you can get a on-par laptop to an equivelent Desktop for around 1.5K, considering most peeps will pay 1K to get a high end laptop (maybe 800 or less if you build it manually) paying an extra 500 isn't too shabby, the only thing to consider will be weight.

Naturally, I have seen good enough laptops going for sub 800, minus a good graphics cards, but if you're not gaming, then you don't care for that one part.

I think this sums it up pretty well for me, take time away to make time later on.

Nice! Any ideas of you can hookup a 'glove pad' to it, and you hand? You know, one of those weird numpad looking things that attach to one of your hands with a few buttons on it?

you don't need that, just configure your own dock with your own butrons/hotkeys
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    As others have said, there are plenty of things you can do away from your desk, e.g. story boarding, concept sketching, and low cpu intensive things that a laptop can handle without a problem.

That's one reason I still prefer the sketch and scan approach where applicable.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'm building this for my setup at home. a few people at my wife's game studio have adopted this and really like it. Standing is supposed to be better for you, thought i would try it :)

http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Standing-desk-for-22-dollars.html
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah like I am gonna stand up all day :/ how about one of these fellas
    10-4791-elephant-saddle-laos.JPG
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whenever it's nice out, I run cables out onto my deck and work there.. Basically just a long USB cable with a hub, 2 long HDMI cables and a power bar and I can have my desktop power and dual monitors outdoors. It makes it infinitely nicer to be outside with just the sounds of nature, and I can crank up the fans on my PC since I won't hear them.

I don't know how anyone can work in coffee shops and other places with people, I can't deal with the noise.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know how anyone can work in coffee shops and other places with people, I can't deal with the noise.

A wonderful invention called headphones :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Even at work having nice noise cancelling HD headphones saves me from a headache. Even if i am not listening to music, my headphones are on most of the time. PLUS! people tend to bother you less if they see you wearing your headphones and working. :D