Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creepy Log Cabin

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
So, I wanted this to be done by monday so i could submit it to the MIGS game art expo but I doubt I'll be able to manage it...

Anyhow, I'm still gonna finish it for my portfolio, so might as well create a WIP thread to have some feedback.

Basically, I want to make a few mock-up game screenshots of a fake horror game. It would be set during the French Colonization of North America, involve native americain horror myths, etc, etc.

It's obviously not going to be made, but I might as well try to make a few screenshots of how I'd imagine it to be.

Anyway, this is a scene in a log cabin in the middle of the woods, the character stumbles across what's left of some sort of satanic ritual.

It's sadly at an early stage, but here's a low-quality screengrab from UDK:

XfahJ.jpg
Yes. I do know that the blood's specular is waaaaaay off. It looks really silly now. I'm gonna go catch a few hours of sleep before going back to it.

Thanks!

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Keep at it brother. You got a long way to go, but stick with it!
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update! Picture quality is still terrible, but I'm starting to notice it might be imgur's fault, as the capture (with the windows 7 capture tool) is pretty clean before uploading. Meh, it's not final at all anyway. Um... Still got to add a good bunch of props and well... build the other angles of the cabin. I have like... a bed done, that's mostly it x)

V3DbF.jpg

Gotta tweak a lot of textures and do a better lighting job too.

Still a lot of work left, but hey, I managed some semi-convincing candle flames! (which you can barely see in the picture). Hurray.
  • claytonbarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking a lot better. Cool idea too. Maybe try thinking about what else you might be able to add in there to help tie in the sacrificial ceremony theme a bit more. Things like animal bones (or carcases, slightly morbid - but it is a mockup of a horror game, and the blood came from somewhere right? ), a book of sorcery or scrolls, and some clues as to what resulted once the ceremony was finished.
    It looks as though the character is discovering the aftermath of whatever went on in this cabin, so leave clues as to what might've unfolded where you can and that will help to breathe life into the world you're trying to create.

Good luck.
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, was planning on it ;P

I'll be sculpting a skull and some bones today.
    A book is a good idea too.

I was also thinking about some indian artifacts, since the mythos would be mostly based on early colonial myths and native american folklore.

I particularly like the Legend of The Wendigo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

This thing would be so great as a kind of recurring ennemy (think Nemesis, Pyramid Head, Dr. Salvadore): tumblr_m2uxi17Uuh1ruty52o1_1280.png

Almost makes me want to model it. I probably would if I wasn't transitioning into a more environment-centric portfolio x)
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't manage to do a lot today : s

Still, I made a deer skull.

Okay, any hunter could probably tell it's quite stylized and a tad loosely interpreted, but as a small background prop I think it's going to do the job.

Not the final placement, I just put it randomly somewhere for now.

2S5zs.jpg
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've got a little less than a week to put out kickass renders for the career fair.

I'll do my best to manage that ;)

Still got a couple of props to do, mainly some counter to cook on(surprisingly having a hard time finding a suitable reference. I keep finding fancy antique french furniture for the time period, but it's definitely not good for this scene), a metallic basine (for washing stuff), a barrel and some ustensils. M'aybe other stuff I haven,t thought of. Probably more gorey/creepy things. Guts? Organs or something?

It's definitely doable, but I'm keeping myself a great deal of time to light the scene way better, mess around with the post-process, tweak textures, etc. Gotta work on a few lightmaps too, made some errors here and there, and some objects are not lighting properly. Still unsure what I'm gonna do with the windows though. Anyway, I'll keep working until I get one or two good-looking renders for my portfolio!

Pictures time

836485Wip3.jpg

907421WIP4.jpg
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, worked quite a bit on it, still trying to make it a good piece for wednesday. I'm getting the hang of lighting and I'm still working on proper post-process. Those screenshots are still preview light build with bad screenshot quality, but I'm looking for advice and criticism on the lights & the layout of the room.

Thanks!

WEW8r.jpg

z7Hub.jpg

zH4n5.jpg
    rJjii.jpg

I was also thinking about adding inverted crosses on the walls, a bit like the religious nut's apartment in Heavy Rain. I'm still unsure it could work.I did a test with a basic mesh, but I dont know what to think...

QRx39.jpg
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    I like the theme of a colonial/Native American horror game. I'd play it! And that Wendigo concept is terrifying. You might even consider changing the pentagram into some kind of Native American symbol instead, the Native American thing is definitely a unique angle.

I made a quick paintover with a lighting suggestion - mostly just removing the blue tint and making the scene mostly red since the only light sources are candle flames. Also I made the flames a little more prominent and darkened the stuff outside of the windows (unless there was another light source outside, you wouldn't be able to see anything through the window except maybe some branches or something being illuminated by the candle on the table).

Additionally, I feel like most log cabins I've seen had this caulk stuff in between the logs on the interior (not sure what it is, clay or something?) and it's in most of the pics I found in my 6 seconds of Google Image-ing. Anyway, I think it would look neat and help visually break up the walls even more. Also if you're gonna do the cross thing, I think it would look cool to enlarge the crosses a little (at least a few of them) to make them more prominent.

I think you could also throw a bunch of dirt on the floor, especially in corners/around furniture, and particularly near the wood piles and stove. Some rugs might look nice on the floor too.

One final thing I noticed in some of the log cabin pics I looked at was that their floors didn't seem to be as uniform as the one you've got here. A lot of them looked kind of cobbled together from whatever bits of wood they could find, all mismatched and different lengths and colors. It seemed like they didn't even necessarily form a very flat surface; there could be some height variations between floorboards. I discolored some of the floorboards in this paintover as a nod to that concept, but you could take it pretty far and maybe get some interesting results with the floor.

Hope some of this is helpful. It's looking good so far!

BZGCJ.jpg
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot! :)

This is very helpful, I'll definitely get on that. I'm still unsure about how to do the walls properly, but I'll check this out.

I also had a weird feeling about the floor, thanks for pointing that out, I'll try seeing what I can do.
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so... a first adequate quality screenshot! I tried the ''caulk stuff'', but I'm not sure I worked enough on it, It looks odd I think.

526485Alpha.jpg

Um... The crosses still aren't done, haven't made up my mind if I do that or not (I should hurry though). I changed the floor texture completely, opting for a blend of pictures instead of the sculpting/pictures blend I tried and wasn't so good. I think it looks better.

I'm having a little trouble getting proper shadows since the light bounces make them too pale, I still have to tweak that somehow.

Mmh, does anyone have an idea of how I should setup my broom mesh/material/affecting lights? The shading on the hay is quite funky, some planes are darker for some unknown reason.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm making progress! :)
  • Adrian Pieroni
    Pioldes, could you please post wireframe shots?
  • Curly Brace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i LOVE this <3!!! Keep it up Mate :D
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Hmm... one issue I have with this (and many game rooms, btw - not just your specific 'problem') is that it feels so empty and unused. Why would anyone build a log cabin this size when they could live just fine in one a quarter the size, and this have to cut down four times as few trees?

I'm not saying that the building must be smaller - I'm saying that you should try to contextualize the size. Was this the canteen of the lumberjacks? Storage room? Was it filled with more furniture before, and has that been shoved aside to make room for the ritual?
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I'm late to the party, haha. Didn't see the comments.

I'll probably revisit it soon to fix some things (lighting and the props placement as Snader mentionned), I'll do a wire shot then. In the meantime, there's a wire of some of the props on my website: www.pioldes.com

Thanks for the comments!