Home General Discussion

Outlast

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 16
This seems appropriate for Halloween. im psyched. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GPf3MdVOKI"]Outlast - Official Trailer from Red Barrels (Full version) - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looking forward to this even with not much info to go on. I feel the environments don't look to scary at the minute, changing the lighting and the colour saturation could help with that.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like my type of game! looks pretty awesome.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Bump bump!

The game is on steam for pre-purchase since some days. I already purchased it.

If you loved amnesia, this game is a must buy :)

www.youtube.com/v=1Vcgdl4xQ18
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    played it a bit, its freaking scary... made me jump a few times.. and it gets under your skin. AWESOME GAME SO FAR!! PLAY IT!

also.. the game is gorgeous.. they do a lot.. and the game is not even that big. pretty awesome stuff!
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    im still at the beginning, but it looks great so far.

Edit: just beat it
    fairly short game, beat it in 6 hours

few things i didnt like
    it was very linear, the story wasn't that great, and it was filled with a lot of jump scares (cheap scares)

spoiler
    one of the things i found scary was the dread of meeting those 2 nude guys again, they creep me out

overall, it was worth what i paid for it (16$)
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Saw a video of people freaking our while playing, and I've been keeping an eye on this already, but that made it a sure fire buy for me.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    looks photo-real in camera mode
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I beated it in one go, so short and not so terrifying as i was expecting. I liked the story, though.

I could not see any bad guy looking under the bed like in the trailer. All was very "Splinter Cell", collect items/activate a few valves/get the key to enter the new zone and, avoid the bad guys and that's all. When toying with the mobs, i didn't look behind when running lol.

Almost at the end, i loved how the big mob dies.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    3:54 - "...and this is what happens if you misbehave, kiddies"
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Been looking forward to this for a while. I loved the atmosphere it created at the beginning, the approach to the asylum, breaking in, creeping around the corridors. However as soon at it introduced the enemies it fell apart for me and stopped being even remotely scary. Typical gameplay tropes. I'd have preferred just wandering around piecing the story together. Worth it for 20 bucks or whatever it is on steam though.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Just beat the game the other day

Awesome game, loved the art, plot, etc ...
    Very intense but imo NOT scary

Not scary because it's a corridor game by definition :
    1. linear levels - you never feel "lost" & overwhelmed, because you know all you need is to keep going forward and everything is going to sort itself out.
    2. relies too much on music - imo music breaks immersion, too much cues ("be scared here", "oh a bad guy" is coming) and any chase music feels like I'm listening to the benny hill theme :P

Another thing is the entire art is made by a handful of artists ? (red barrels)
    That's crazy, I dig the art so much .. do we have any polycounters among them ?