Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Research Lab

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
davidosterlind polycounter lvl 5
Have been working on a scene as part of a three week(part time) school assignment. I have a couple of days left until deadline, would love some critique.

researchlab01.jpg
researchlab02.jpg
researchlab03.jpg

Replies

• BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    This looks awesome so far! MOAR!
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks BenHenry!
    Here is an update with a lot of minor tweaks. I remade the glass shader for the Terraium/Greenhouse so I could include some moss beeing formed around the edges.
    Added some Polaroid pictures and more papers for the back wall. I also remade the shader for the plants, tried to enhance lightness/contrast and specularity.
    Im pleased with the overall lighting although it might be too dark overall at the moment?

researchlabsecond01.jpg
    researchlabsecond02.jpg
    researchlabsecond03.jpg
    researchlabsecond04.jpg
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it. I feel like the ceiling and wall behind the greenhouse are a little plain. Adding posters, instructions on the wall or making more pipes might be a good idea. :D
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    I love what you have so far, however it feels a little empty. IT needs to be populated more. Great work!!
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Deadline is today but I will definitely return to the project as soon as I get time to finalize my portfolio. I made a quick paintover listing props and stuff that I would like to add.
    Also added a more recent closeup baked with production lighting :)

researchlabpaintover01.jpg
    09recearchlabpresentati.jpg
  • Lizzard4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lizzard4000 polycounter lvl 7
    very awesome work!
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    sick stuff man, love your suggestions also.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff!
    The light fixture hanging in the middle of the room seems to be hanging pretty low, maybe make a different one that sits tight in the ceiling?
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started to work on this scene again, this time for my portfolio. Added a few smaller trinkets, working on a few more, Made some Chord-ducts for the ceiling and water puddles for the floor. Also added a planter-table for orchids, didnt plan to do that but I got inspired and couldnt resist, not sure about its placement in the room though. Appreciate the feedback, thanks guys!

lab01.jpg
    lab06.jpg
    lab04.jpg
    lab02.jpg
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Glad you've gone back to this, I think time away has given you a moment to think what might be worth adding to a lab environment. The annotated image is a great start though it's worth considering what details may be lost if focusing on a wider view of the scene, eg. The tools you want on the back wall vs filling up the rest of the room.

I found this concept from Heavy Rain which has a more closed in environment, enough for one or two people to work in. The quantity and size of elements in the concept compliment the purpose of the room and while you've certainly got an idea of what you want, taking some cues from it regarding colour grading, detail added to the floor (one of your highlighted points), indication of the size of the room from one angle (note the plastic sheeting on the right) could help to push this piece further.

2Bmf75O.jpg
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you whw! Good stuff. Fact is I have had this concept as an inspiration for some time, although looking at it for prop-suggestions more than anything else. The size of the room is something I have been struggling with, making it more enclosed (adding a wall to the right, behind the orchids) might help indicate the size of the room as you mentioned. Although I might loose the opportunity to get shots looking from that angle if I do(?), meaning player movement would be confined to a smaller area, in the center of the room.
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays work: Added a wall making the room appear smaller and more confined, added a few props(magnifying lamp, microscope, folders, whiteboard) played with decals to add some interest and wear to the floor. Thinking Im almost there now, have a couple of days left until my deadline, Pleased how it turned out. Thanks for all the sweet feedback so far! If you have anything to comment on, please do!

lab0203.jpg
    lab0202.jpg
    lab0201.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I'm in love with this piece. Something about the atmosphere and lighting, and there are many small touches that gives the space the feeling of really being occupied by someone. The coffee mug on the desk for instance (lol just noticed the polycount logo as I was typing that) really pulls it together.

The second two zoomed in shots are nice, but the first shot seems so barren and empty towards the middle of the room for some reason. The wall you added closes off the space nicely but I can't help feel something is missing in the central area. Maybe some sort of island style furniture or a mobile cart/cabinet on wheels with tools strewn on it... I don't know.

Love the scene though, the shaders/lighting are amazing. Hope to see a breakdown of the scene in the near future. :D
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx sybrix! Good point about the floor being a bit barren, might do something about that in the future. Couldn't resist making a surveillance camera-view of the room :)
    lab0204.jpg
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Ha! That security camera view is well done.