Home General Discussion

monkey island question

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
Hello mates, long time no see, i'm cooking a nice mobile game and will post it when finished.

once i finish (flashback on snes) i want to play escape from monkey island all games

which one to start by, should i begin playing from the oldest?

after monkey island i will play grim findango and day of the tentacle then syberia then broken sword.... then dreamfall longest journey

best kind of games!!

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    You will find Amiga emulation among the most enjoyable, or try installing the SCUMM emulator on a supported device (works on iPhone, Android, iPad etc) and play most lucasarts games from there.

Grim Fandango is a harder one to emulate (AFAIK It's not possible to emulate with SCUMM) but I'm sure you'll get there, it's a classic. Let's hope they put out an iPad version one day.

With Monkey Island, definitely start at the start, it'll make way more sense.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bear in mind that Dreamfall is the sequel to The Longest Journey, you'll want to play TLJ first.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

one of my favoryte video game of all time!
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    You should play day of tentacle before grim fandango because it was released earlier.Chronologically you can put Full Throttle(which is a lucas arts game too)between those two,worth checking it.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Beneath a steel sky was cool too (if a little short)

Oooh, and Dreamweb --> http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/reviews/221/
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    playing day of the tentacle...
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I had a big Lucasarts nostalgia trip a couple of years ago and played through Monkey Island 1-3, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Grim Fandango in quick succession. They all hold up really well, because the writing and puzzles are so good. I can recommend the book 'Rogue Leaders' if you're interested in the history of that once great company.

Broken Sword is one of my faves too and it's also still good after many years. Revolution are making a new BS game at the moment, btw.
  • jenagrey8585
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monkey Island is the titular island from the Monkey Island game series, where many significant plot points and events occur or have occurred within the mythology of the series. The island makes appearances in one form or another in the first four games, three of which feature actual gameplay on the island. Tales of Monkey Islandmarks the first time the island is not actually featured in a game. It is described as a nigh unreachable island paradise and has twice been the base of operations for LeChuck's nefarious plans. Between the second and third games it was also the location of the highly popularBig Whoop amusement park. Despite its name, a significant population of monkeys is only seen on the island for a temporary interval during the events of Escape from Monkey Island.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    hawken wrote: »
    You will find Amiga emulation among the most enjoyable, or try installing the SCUMM emulator on a supported device (works on iPhone, Android, iPad etc) and play most lucasarts games from there.

Grim Fandango is a harder one to emulate (AFAIK It's not possible to emulate with SCUMM) but I'm sure you'll get there, it's a classic. Let's hope they put out an iPad version one day.

With Monkey Island, definitely start at the start, it'll make way more sense.

The SummVM team released a v1.0 of the Residual Grim Fandango engine emulator at residualvm.org.
    For all the other classic adventures try ScummVM. It is very solid and very easy to use. Probably even easier than setting up DOSbox or UAE.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really did like day of the tentacle, it was hilarious!! will sure finish it without a walkthrough...

here goes the plan

[ read grim fandango pdf & play day of the tentacle]
    ....once finished them
    [ play escape from monkey island from oldest to newest]
    ....once finished them
    [ play grim fandango ]
    ....once finished them
    [ play broken sword from oldest to newest ]
    ....once finished them

now that will take some time :)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Play Monkey Island HD remakes(they include old version too, you can switch right in the game from old style to new and back), and then play Monkey Island 3(looks and plays good)

enjoy :)
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tip.