Home Technical Talk

Creating a blacksmith-looking base texture

Hello all, and thanks for letting me join polycount :)

I am at the moment trying to get better at creating game assets, and while my modelling techniques are somewhat decent, my texturing abilities are not.

Over the last few days i've been trying to create a base texture that looks like this:
1884.47.3_a.jpg
But i've been failing horribly.

I need the texture for a hammer i've been modelling in Max and ZBrush, so i've got a highpoly model with all the details and the lowpoly model where i can use the texture.

My initial idea was to bake a bumpmap in max, and use that as the base color, but most of the bumps and dents proved to be too shallow to be found by max, and increasing the contrast in photoshop completely destroyed the render.

I've since then baked out a normal map, which shows the dents and fractures just fine, but i've been unsuccessful in using this map as a base for a bump map, because of gradients.

So please help me, i'm at my wits end with this problem, and i really dont want to paint every single dent and fracture in photoshop as that will take days, if not weeks, to complete.

Thanks in advance.

- Setes

Replies

• wichenroder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surface noise etc then Cavity mask from zbrush is what I would use.
  • Setes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, but you misunderstand me :), thanks for the links though.

I know how to create the textures from scratch, more or less anyway. What i am looking for is a way to create a similar texture from a highpoly model with a similar looking surface.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    render a cavity map from xnormal? that should capture all your tiny crevices.
  • Setes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're misunderstanding me Perna, or perhaps i'm not explaining my problem or situation well enough :)

I know how to create textures in Photoshop, bumpmaps, diffuse, specular, and so on. The issue i have is with zbrush/photoshop/3ds max, where i'm trying to bake a bumpmap from a highpoly model to make a texture like the one above which you've kindly shown me.

Your post isnt wastesd, its always nice to see how people do stuff ^^

Thanks wichemroder and johnnyraptor, i'll take a look at those cavity maps :)