Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HELP, allyway too clean

Im creating a back ally, and its looking too clean so I wanted to know if someone could give me some help.

334338_10152212191720247_1725858310_o.jpg

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this is in udk i suggest a little vertex painting.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertex painting where?
    Im not sure how thats done *shrug*, could you suggest a good tut.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya just google eat3d vertex painting and it should be the first thing you see.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    That lighting is really bright too, I'd look over your spec maps
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    I think a little less tiling on your floor would make a huge difference, add some dirt/grunge decals, and some small debris (cans, paper, general rubbish) will help too.
    Agree with the lighting issue, get rid of that purple light and move the remaining light to a higher position.
    Your lighting makes it look like there isn't another side to the alley (I'm assuming it's supposed to be an alley), add another side, even if it's just to add shadows.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    BeserK wrote: »
    I think a little less tiling on your floor would make a huge difference, add some dirt/grunge decals, and some small debris (cans, paper, general rubbish) will help too.
    Agree with the lighting issue, get rid of that purple light and move the remaining light to a higher position.
    Your lighting makes it look like there isn't another side to the alley (I'm assuming it's supposed to be an alley), add another side, even if it's just to add shadows.

Exactly. The alley feels as if it is a yard of some sort behind an old warehouse or something. If you modify the light to add a hanging shadow cast, and then use more cool contrast, it will be instantly more eye appealing. As for the floor tiling... That should be your absolute first concern. The floor looks like a 32x32 texture tiled to infinity and then thrown on a plane. There is no silhouette variation and just takes away from the props you spent time on. If you spent time working on a grungey ground texture, and possibly look into props/objects to populate the ground and give silhouette variation, as well as work with the lighting, you will instantly have a WAY better piece that reads as a dirty alley way. Right now, it likes like a surreal, yard at the back of a warehouse, with an intense, cloudless sunset in a dream. I like the props a lot though, you can see the work you put into them, and will translate well to some more environment/scene work to compliment them.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I feel that scale is the biggest issue right now. Both crates, power-poles, bags etc etc are too big, the bags are almost bigger than the door so that makes them almost as big as a human =P, sure we have big bags as well but you need to make sure it looks right. Maybe not the pallets though, you could probably put a forklift in there, some more debris in terms of just small crap like bottles and small stuff.

garbage-cans-and-bins-on-dirty-alleyway.jpg

alleyway.jpg

But good work so far! :)

Like the others said as well, painting in grime would probably help a lot.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sipher3325 wrote: »
    If this is in udk i suggest a little vertex painting.

Maybe you or someone else knows, but when ever i come out of mesh paint mode I find that my perspective camera is parented/locked to the object when I try and move it, like it follows the static mesh.

60690_10152215340760247_506160423_n.jpg