Home Technical Talk

default max's wireframe color script?

Hi there,

I used to have a nifty script that could set up max's default wireframe color to (black) a color I like. It always bugged me the fact that max assigns a different wireframe color to a new object, actually I really dislike that.

I lost that script somehow, so I was wondering if any of you got a clue how to fix this again?

Thanks guys.

Replies

• maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I am not sure if this is possible, I might be saying crap, but is there a way in max (maxscript?) to create a new object and for it to become automatically a polygon object?

I wish this was by default as any other app, it adds an extra step for nothing.
    Not a major default but still...wondering if there was something out there to "fix this" :) ...

cheers
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trebor777 polycounter lvl 10
    you could probably use a callback on a new node created, that calls " convert to editable poly" automatically :)
    That would do the trick :), but you'd lose any possibilities to edit your primitive before converting it.
    Adding a "Edit Poly" Modifier instead to it might be a better solution.

You could also have Macros to create simple Primitives directly converted to Editable poly. Like generating "1-1-1 cube" for example. That's like super simple, and everything is explained in the Maxscript help, or here, by the dude who made maxscript : http://vimeo.com/album/1514565/page:1/sort:preset/format:thumbnail
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep like trebor777 pointed out you could easily maxscript the convert to editable poly and assign a wire color with one button. Personally I tend to keep the primitive shapes around a while before collapsing. I mostly do this because its a quick way to start the low poly. Copy the object delete the stack, down res the primitive and you're almost done.

I get where you're coming from I have the same preferences, I put some of the things you want to do in a script that I wrote, you could crack it open and tinker with it a bit to get what you need.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/scene-clean
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Trebor, merci mec! I'll try to check that vimeo channel, looks interesting.

@Mark, awesome! couldn't ask for better, thanks man! I ll dig inside, but in fact the other functions are also useful, so I'll keep the toolbar as is I think.

Which brings me to another quick question :)

... I just found out that maya has "select object with material xyx"

do you guys know how to do that in max?

regards
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use "outliner" which has a similar feature. It also has a kick ass layer manager similar to the outliner in Maya so it's a double win.

I think the "scene explorer" (Tools -> New Scene Explorer) in max might have a similar function? It was created as a response to outliner but never fully realized as well as outliner. Scene explore doesn't' allow for nesting of folders, docking, or half a dozen other features that outliner has so I wouldn't bother with scene explore, still if you're looking for a way inside of max that might be your ticket.

There are also some scripts on scriptspot.com that have more detailed information and selection options for finding meshes based on materials.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    maze wrote: »
    It always bugged me the fact that max assigns a different wireframe color to a new object, actually I really dislike that

You can just turn that off, have been able to since I can remember:

2012-10-26_1612.png
    it adds an extra step for nothing.
    No, not for nothing. I admit that 99% of the time I will convert it to an editable object, but being able to change dimensions and segments with modifiers above the primitive has its advantages and is often quite an iterative way to work. It's not for you... fair enough, but you can't say it's an extra step for nothing.
    I just found out that maya has "select object with material xyx"

do you guys know how to do that in max?

By default there is this:
    SelectByMaterial.png

Not sure if that's what you want though.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GeeDave, Hey sorry for the delay getting back, First of, thank you very much for taking the time!
    You can just turn that off, have been able to since I can remember:
    I tried that out but it seems to change both the object color and the wireframe to black. I just wanted to change the object's wireframe not the color (well default shader.. grey)
    No, not for nothing. I admit that 99% of the time I will convert it to an editable object, but being able to change dimensions and segments with modifiers above the primitive has its advantages and is often quite an iterative way to work. It's not for you... fair enough, but you can't say it's an extra step for nothing.

You are right, I should've explain better, I said that probably because I am comparing it with xsi's way of doing things. Maya is kinda similar as well.

Meaning that you start with a polygon primitive where you can right away change the number of loops, but that you can also start modifying (as you would do) on a "editable poly" object. But without having to change it to a "editable poly" because it is by default. Not sure if this makes sense.

So I guess I was in a way saying, that I wish max could also create primitive "editable polygon" objects, in which we could also change the number of loops etc by default. But I guess that would be too much of a hassle to change, as it seems to be in the core of max's workflow.
    By default there is this:

Awesme, didn know about that one! thanks man
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use "outliner" which has a similar feature.

Right on spot Mark, send you a digital beer.. thats gold!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maze wrote: »
    I tried that out but it seems to change both the object color and the wireframe to black. I just wanted to change the object's wireframe not the color (well default shader.. grey)
    In the Scene Clean script I linked to earlier the last button applies a mat shadow material and assigns the wire color, you should be able to switch this to a standard material fairly easily, if not let me know and I can re-write it to fit your needs.

It might be good to add just that function as a button on your toolbar. But like someone else said a call back could work too, but could lead to unexpected consequences... possibly so it needs to be used with caution and thoroughly tested.