Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Artsy Forest Environment Feedback

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakob Gavelli interpolator
Hey!

I'm really, really unsure about this idea I've been tossing around in my head for a couple of days. I finally went ahead and tried making a pine tree using a fair amount of polygons and hard edges with nothing but a pure color and a light fresnel.

I'm kind of on the fence whether this looks kinda cool or just like a pile of dogshit. And that's why I'm asking for a pair of fresh eyes to take a look since I'm been staring at it for way too long to make a proper decition. :]

8122115009_8b4a7310a2.jpg
2012-10-25_01 by Jakpe, on Flickr

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    It's an interesting idea and I like it so far, but I think you need a focal point. Some ground cover would be good too. Especially if you do everything a similar style.
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    I like it! But yeah throw in some ferns, bushes, rocks, small trees, etc. and see how that looks.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I love the look! The simple shapes and colors are great. I would add a little size variation, like some smaller leaf clumps, and longer little branches ( I see you have some short ones already, that's cool ). Neat idea :D
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies <3

I made a pine because they have a very distinct look. Branches high up in kind of layers, very tall and lots of broken branches.

The overall game idea is to have a very large forest with different key locations such as a cave or a big cool tree etc etc, played in first person. So what I'm trying to do is create a gloomy foresty feel where I'll be relying on the Foliage tool for most of the environment.

So far I think the pine works very well in creating the feeling I want. I just have to think about other vegetation. I tried making another medium sized tree with a pretty large width to balance out the pine, but it ruined the feeling I like and blocked the view of all these tall trees in the distance.

@leleuxart : Thanks! I'll have to figure out a way to make some kind of foliage in this blocky style.. If I succeed remains to be seen.

@Sparr : Thanks! Yeah, I need to figure out a way to add more stuff without breaking the awesome treeline I'm got going. I have the bad habit of reusing a model I recently made like a billion times just because it's new and shiny ^^

@Jessica Dinh : I admire your work =o Your reply really made my week. For some reason I didn't think of making the branches longer ^.- Probably stared at the tree for too long. I'll probably come around and make another pine tree aswell to get atleast some variation. I think I'll be using them alot ^^.

Anyways! Thanks alot for replying, it really gave me the confidence boost I needed! <3
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya again! I don't know the policy regarding double posting but I'll just go for it!

Finally got some spare time to try out some new stuff!

8128501918_a72d60cb11.jpg
    2012-10-27_03 by Jakpe, on Flickr

If you don't recognize them, they're birch trees!

8128536311_e94d3aa5ae.jpg
    2012-10-27_04 by Jakpe, on Flickr

Still not quite happy about the "pines" And I have to some way figure out how to make longer branches without making it look like crap and also make some kind of fern or grass that will fit the art style. Maybe just lumps of polygons?

Maybe I should take a step back and try to plan what I want to do with this project before I spend too much time on it?