Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK]The Batcave

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
Ah the Batcave, such a awesome place for a environment because you can just go wild with how you want the layout to be. I wanted to loosely based mine around the design and style of Arkham Asylum.

I felt this would give me a chance to try and push myself as an artist. I know one of my larger weakness is sticking to smaller environments and not enough planning so with this I plan on working on those.

The blockout is almost done. I need to fill it up with more props and create some modular pipes to go around but the base layout is there. Also have my Stalactites done and I think they turned out alright. It is a bit dark right now but I'm still planning where I want all my light sources to be coming from.

So any crits are of course welcome.

22OZ0.jpg
9nLAS.jpg
FG0qL.jpg
tuly2.jpg

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    This looks like a very similar aesthetic to Arkham Asylum's batman cave also done in UDK. I've always had a personal philosophy on things like this: if you're doing a remake, it should look miles better than the original. The LAST things you want somebody to say is "That looks good, but [xxx] did it better..."

That said, it's not a bad choice for a scene. It offers organic and hard surfaces and there are a large number of possibilities you could execute with lighting and technical effects, like holograms. Good luck and I look forward to your progress.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    There's one thing you can do already to me. It's try to get rid of cgtexture's iconic rock photos. You've been lazy and just based your most important texture in this map (it's filling all the screen) off a photo and crazybumped the normal map out of it.

On top of that it's a noisy texture because of all its strates lines in. You might want to sculpt a proper rock texture, it might give readability a boost too.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BringMeASunkist I diffidently intend on this looking better than the original, or at least trying to.

@ParoXum Thanks for pointing that out, but I never intended on that being there for very long. I never did a organic surface like cave walls so I wanted to be sure the unwrap was working properly with no stretching and just threw that on there as a place holder. Just trying not to jump around from texturing and zbrush then back to modeling so the place holder seems like a good idea. I should have stated that in the original post.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh no worries then. Sorry if my post came a bit like harsh stuff then :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problems man! I understand the need to stop people form just slapping CGtextures on everything.

Spent a lot of time getting decent lightmap unwraps for most(but not all yet) of the main meshes. Creating some modular pipes to have go about the cave. Just need some more filler props then I can get to lighting and texturing.

0U7zh.jpg
    Ib7pm.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe having a light source coming from the cave depth would give some more vairation. Something just slightly colored, enough not too detract from the batcave itself but still, create some athmosphere.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a bad idea ParoXum. I just added a pool of water for the bottom of the cave but maybe some natural light coming from a hole at the top? Should be able to create some athmosphere.

Also debating how many more props I should add for it. I want it to look full of stuff that Batman would use but not too crowded.

ugEol.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piggybacking off ParoXum's idea, a slightly illuminated fog volume from below the scene might contribute some atmosphere
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great idea for the fog!

This will be my first time touching Zbrush so after a few tutorials on the UI, I'll make a few rocks to scatter around the cave walls to give it a better feel(such as around the opening at the top) and create a tiling rock texture to get rid of the Cgtexture rock. Everything has a lightmap unwrap so after a few more props(Chair, umm other bat things) I can start to texture those too.

ciCp8.jpg
    PI61K.jpg
    HipsE.jpg
    nkXnG.jpg
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love what you have so far. keep going man.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to texture a few more things, once all the texturing is done and another lighitng pass. Ill be opening Zbrush for the first time to get a original tiling rock texture.
    wM3ec.jpg
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    great job with the rocks, the metal is goingt o be the hardest part to nail right I predict, texture wise.. can't wait to see what you can do
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I textured the metal walkway, any crits on the metal for it are very much welcome, not too sure if its not grimy enough. What's hard to show is I set up a light function to animate on the cave walls reflecting the water. I recorded a video but youtube is taking awhile to upload.

What I want to finish by today is have everything that will be using the tillable metal texture to be unwrapped, get the pipes textured, and if I can fit it in get the computers textured. Like I said before once the rest of this stuff is done I'll be creating a new rock texture. Just saving the hard part for last since I have never used Zbrush before. Also odd is the red at the bottom, it seems to appear and go away at random.

YnwBT.jpg
    R0k6v.jpg
    BhKDG.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally able to get back to this thing!(Worked all weekend, yay retail!...) Despite a crippling migraine today I managed to get some work done. Mostly worked on some postprocess effects and unwrapped a few more things. With everything planned out I should be able to get everything to a finished state by friday I hope. Then after I can just tighten everything up.

n1sdD.jpg
    jTLaR.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its starting to come together....looking good.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The warm and cool lights are a very nice compliment. You're doing some good things here
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I think you need to work more on your cave-walls, they're flat and quite boring right now. In an enclosed environment like this you'd put a bit more love into it. I think the texture you've got there is bad choice, I know you don't want more tiling on the walls but you've just got to stop being lazy and make sure you hide the tiling properly :P

Poly-example
    Picture105.jpg

+ add more detail
    the-entrance-as-seen-from-inside.jpg

Make sure you get the texel-density right because now it's really obvious that it's lower res than the other stuff.

As for the caustics, you can make it so that a spotlight does those things for you. You'd just have panning/rotating caustic-texture materials that you apply to a spotlight.

But yes you're getting the feel right at least :) Good work so far man
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit Chris! I diffidently agree with you that the walls are a bit bland. As far as modeling go's I'm not quite sure how I should tackle it to give it more detail. Modeling that detail would likely triple my polycount for the cave(its sitting at 5760 for the cave itself)

Perhaps I could create some large rocks and just rotate them around the cave to give it a more lumpy feel?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went ahead with the reusable rock to make the cave less flat. Base mesh is done and onto clean up. Then to Zbrush! Pm8eM.jpg
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I would try to add more volume to the wall texture because right now it doesn't break up the form at all, it's very obvious it's a polygon shell with a tiling texture on it. Also if you can render out a depth map of the texture you could use parallax or tesselation to make the surface pop more.

Your approach of pipeshoving individual rock assets into the wall is a good idea, but the wall texture will need to work on selling the effect as well. What I have done in the past is to use my reusable rock assets to make a tiling texture using zBrush's 2.5D canvas trick. that way you get a consistency in the rock formation between the tiling texture and the assets.
  • Pedro Jatob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro Jatob polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good ! Way better then the first images... keep going ! Like Chris said, work on the rocks surface, maybe modular ones... GJ !
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling caves you usually do it in chunks that intersect each other and then make sure you LOD each chunk for performance reason. I'd say that 5.000 tris is a tiny amount of tris :P

When I was doing some LODs for Motorstorm Apocalypse I had to LOD several 30.000-40.000 tris chunks of cliffs down to 3000 tris or less. =P
    In closed-spaces like this is not that big of a problem.

Basically, if you want to get bigger and nice overall shapes you can always model from the texture. Doing this in max is awesome considering the preserve UV-functionality. Basically start with a cliff-shape, then look at it in perspective-mode from the front and start cutting out detail that you can spot in the actual rock-texture, then start pushing vertices to get more shapes and detail.

Or yeah, do something nice and tilable in Zbrush. Doesn't really matter if it tiles too much as long as you can hide the tiling well. You can use natural cracks to hide seams, use blends or other objects in the way to hide the tiling.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a great idea, once I get into sculpting and finish that up ill use it for a tiling texture. I plan on having tessellation or parallax on the cave. I'm already using tessellation on the stalactites and it's been doing wonders to it.

Edit:Two replies while i wrote that one haha.

@chrisradsby I'll admit I have an issue of having models too low poly. I guess I shouldn't be afrade of pushing the poly budget a bit. Great idea for modeling out over the texture. I'll likely be doing that along with covering bits with the zbrush sculpt I do.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mentioned how modeling an insane level of detail could boost the polycount beyond desired numbers. What if you get a very sexy height map and let UDK's parallax do the rest for you?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to be using tessellation along with some more modeling. Before I figured the cave being 5K tri's was too much, turns out its not that bad at all. As far as parallax, I just prefer tessellation. Doesn't look weird when moving around and if I have access to a dx11 card why not?

Here is a test of the reusable rock mesh. No sculpt yet just the old rock material. Sculpting shall begin....NOW!

5dDl9.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the sculpt so far, first time using Zbrush so any crits please. Been using the TrimDynamic brush a ton so far. JTVFb.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like you need to consider if the cave is carved out from machinery or actually a natural cave first. It should effect the look for your sculpt in the end. Try finding reference for something you like.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for all the crits on rock modeling and texturing. Just so I don't keep getting distracted by the rest of the environment I'm going to try and finish the rest up in a few days so I can focus and do a rock study for the cave walls.

I have a tendency to jump around and I don't want to rush my self when it comes to learning something new! Expectantly when it comes to Zbrush, I want to not be distracted.

So I worked on a concrete material, I think I got it down ok but if anything is off let me know.
    QjDhB.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5k triangles is really low polyfor currentgen in a cave this big. For the rock only I would easily spend around 30-50k triangles. The amount of carving into the rock you would be able to make with that budget would be priceless. :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah knowing that the polybudget could be much higher will help with the look a ton. The question is when I get back to doing the rocks how will I go about it. I could keep the shell I have now and create a really good tiling texture and place resealable rocks around to hide tiling. I could also create 3 to 4 wall pieces each sculpted and use those to create the cave or I could sculpt the entire cave but I think that would require a huge texture size and just not feasible.

I'm thinking creating a few large sculpted pieces and using those to create it might be the best way. Like chris said, creating it in chunks could allow me to LOD them as necessary if I so needed to.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Alex

I've had this scene on my radar for a while now and I've been wanting to provide you with some feedback as I know your desperate for your break into the industry and I want to help out if I can.

Tonight I finally got some spare time, so I created you a feedback board. Hope you don't mind it in image form, I'm just so used to working this way at work.

Overall the scene is coming on well and its certainly got potential, I haven't said anything about the cave walls because everyone has covered this already, anyway here you go mate. If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me

gSCwK.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton for the image board!It means a lot that you took the time to not only give crits but to present it in a image board. I haven't had a chance to work on it for a few days due to work but I'm defiantly going to take these crits and apply them to the scene.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally got a reuseable rock sculpted and baked down. Right now its just AO, Spec and Normal. After work i'll start on the diffuse. Any crits on the result?
    r0QZf.jpg
    UQMcN.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did another sculpt and bake. I think this one turned out much better. Y1xJj.jpg
  • meathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meathead polycounter lvl 4
    Looks very cool :), You can make basic objects and have great bump with a great texture that will make them stand out more with lighting, Also would be a good bonus if you placed in lightmap cubes since you are using the UDK it will make the scene look more realistic :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two more screenshots. Overhauling the lighting next.

xaju2.jpg
    ch0J0.jpg
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Cool atmosphere, this is looking pretty cool.

Keep up the good work!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a wet layer on the rocks now. Planning on having a few water falls like Grim suggested.
    4xVwt.jpg
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I think the rocks are starting to shape up, though it appears that you only have medium and small details. Creating some larger, unique shapes to break up the detail and lead the viewers eyes around would help a lot. It would be easy to block some in and place them around to see how it feels.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! i'm going to create 2-4 more rock some with larger detail to break it up a bit more.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After wrestling with the rocks I also found I as not happy with how small the cave was. So I have expanded the cave quite a bit. Lighting and everything is not final. Just wanted to show the bigger layout.

I will still be incorporating much of Grim's crits into it(waterfall, switch to blue/white lighting etc..) but I'm also going to expand the main areas where batman would walk. No point in having a huge cave if he wont use the bigger space right?

YY0du.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, have some better wip lighting in place to see everything. Would love to hear what you guys think of the larger cave.

Still not having that great "pop" I want it to though. Not just lighting but just overall. Not sure what it needs to achieve that.

HlDwt.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so there's one thing you're achieving to me with this latest, the two other tunnels are pretty bright and they become unfortunately the place to go for my eyes, especially the right one.

What you want to do is maybe the opposite
    have a important pool of light that comes from all your techy bits in the middle and have that light slowly fade to dark in those tunnels. Your reveal just some part of em and let the people imagine what they want in there.

Also see what it looks like if you darken the water surface as it might be fighting for attention too much atm.