Home Technical Talk

highlight open edges in maya?

I ve got another question! basically, is there a way in maya to highlight edges (open edges) a la xsi (by default) I am trying with settings/display but does not seem to work, am I missing something here?

Thanks dudes!

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, you need to enter edge mode, (F10)

select>Select Using Constraints change propagation: to Border
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Uh, I think maze means "Display > Polygons > Border edges", much simpler than what you're describing Scruples. :)
    Nice to have a shortcut to it, as well as Texture Border Edges when doing UVs.

(Oh and for selecting border edges, double clicking on them does the same as using the "Select Using Constraints" method, much faster as well, didn't think anyone still used that select constraints window, almost seems like legacy as you can do most of it faster with the regular tools now, except for a few rare situations.)
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah Bal thats works good! Thanks man

by the way, I am learning to uv in maya and still getting used to it. I am using roadkill and that kinda help.

I have a question though, does someone knows how to turn off that soft of smart highlight for edges. The problem I have is that lets say I want to select an edge and sew it (stitch selected in max) to another, but once select an edge many others highlight as well. And when I try deselecting them, well the one that I want to select gets deselected as well.

Is there a way to only select one edge and not multiple at the same time?

Its REALLY freaking me out :)

maya_uv_port.JPG

thanks
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also whats up with that relax/unfold slider thing, it does destroy the uvshell layout!!
    the one in 3ds max (relax faces) does much better work imo. BUT once again this may be due to my maya noobiness, some ideas?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    In Maya there is no distinction between edges in the 3D viewport and edges in the UV window, so it's normal that when you select an edge in the UV window, the shared edges from the model will also be selected.
    The fact that it's selecting 3 separate borders in your example looks fishy, like there's some funky modeling going on.

For the relax/unfold sliders, double click on the button to open the tools option, check "Pin Borders" if you want to preserve the shell (and also make sure it's set to UV space of course, not sure if it's on by default depending on the Maya version).
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Maya's unfold tool is weird but works well once you understand it. This video helps http://vimeo.com/16590844

He does miss some information though. The relax tool works really well but you only do it a little bit and then go back over it with the unfold tool. It works well for weird UV shapes like hands and pronged objects like that.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    looks like you got some non manifold geometry there, one edge should never share 3 faces like that.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANKS!!! Bal and Bardler

yeah that video its going to help, I was sure it was me a not the app. Usually I use uvlayout but I "lost" my dongle at the studio I was freelancing, and unfortunately there's no way to get another back without paying 300$ again... that kinda sucks (it acually really f$@#$@ sucks :)

but yeah its kinda good idea to know the app uv system.

thanks again guys
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn! I have another question!!

does someone knows how to disable substractive selection.

ex: if I have some edges selected and if I pass the marquee tool over them, they get deselected, so it actually toggles selection smartly. I want to disable this and have purely additive selection, is this possible?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @passerby, I indeed had some bad geo, just realized when activating the open border highlight feature.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maze wrote: »
    damn! I have another question!!

does someone knows how to disable substractive selection.

ex: if I have some edges selected and if I pass the marquee tool over them, they get deselected, so it actually toggles selection smartly. I want to disable this and have purely additive selection, is this possible?

Yea.

Dragging a selection replaces your current selection with a new one.
    Dragging and holding ctrl subtracts from your current selection.
    Dragging and holding shift adds to the selection, but also subtracts if you overlap.
    Dragging and holding ctrl and shift will add to your current selection.

You can also turn on camera based selection in the tools menu so you don't select stuff on the backside.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragging and holding ctrl and shift will add to your current selection.

I was missing that one! cool!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am taking a look at the unfold video, and its kinda funny cause that guy says exactly what I thought about maya's unfold to start off.. we ll see..
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, do you know a way in maya to switch axis besides going to the actual transform/rotate/scale settings on the right side.

Isn't there a way to change that on the fly with the hotbox?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (global, local, etc..)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think so, but you could easily assign them to a hotkey or add it to the self if it helps you.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    maze wrote: »
    hey, do you know a way in maya to switch axis besides going to the actual transform/rotate/scale settings on the right side.

Isn't there a way to change that on the fly with the hotbox?

Make sure your on the tool (so move tool for example) and hold ctrl-shift right mouse button.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm, where can I find that to assign it to a hotkey?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure your on the tool (so move tool for example) and hold ctrl-shift right mouse button.
    damn that was fast, awesome man!

@Bardler, thanks!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Oh shit I didn't know that lol. I know holding ctrl opens up a radial menu, and shift opens up another radial menu, but I didn't know ctrl + shift opened up a whole different radial menu. That's convenient XD
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    No problem. An even faster way or less awkward for hand movement is tool hotkey and left mouse button. So move tool would be w + lmb. heres a good thread on some hidden marking menus

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?157484-Maya-Demystified-The-Hidden-Marking-Menus

And also welcome to the world of marking menus :D
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctrl-shift-rmb is a little goofy, but it's universal for nearly every tool. Much quicker than opening the tool options menu.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @haiddasalami, thanks for the link I'll go take a look

yeah I am kinda getting used to marking menus... I usually have most of the stuff mapped to hotkeys in xsi and 3ds max. But maya uses a lot of marking menus for stuff. I ll got to get used to.

@throttle kitty, yes I wasn t aware of, its kinda smart to have it like that.

I am actually doing a photogrammetic environment in maya and xsi, from a point cloud I calibrated on image modeler.

I am having an issue with image plane zoom in maya. Basically, in xsi I can lock the rotoscope image (image plane) to the camera, and therefor I can zoom to the image without changing the actual camera position and values in regard to the image plane.
    This is really useful because I can keep using the actual app navigation all along.

In maya, it looks like I cant because that will move the camera in regards to the image plane. So the way I was suggested, was to have some hotkeys mapped to zoom in/out and pan, to the image plane, instead of using maya's default navigation for this. I find this kinda cumbersome, and I will like to be using mayas default zoom/pan for image planes as well. Does anyone knows if this is possible?

here are a couple images, one for xsi, showing the "attached to camera" feature. and one for maya using hotkeys. You can't really see any difference in zoom in this animated gifs, but xsi's its actually really smooth regular zoom, and maya is doing it gradually with plus and minus hotkeys.

maya_imageplane.gif
    xsi_imageplane.gif
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it!
    http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2013/en_us/index.html?url=files/Panning_and_zooming_in_2D.htm,topicNumber=d30e610048

method 2, does pan and zoom interactively keeping the camera locked, works ace.

its by default using the backslash hotkey (pressed)

but to change it to a more comfortable place on the keyboard you can find it here:

"settings/preferences - hotkey editor - display - toggle pan zoom press"

just in case, someone wants to know

cheers.