Home Technical Talk

Customising max startup

poopipe
grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
poopipe grand marshal polycounter
Hello

some background
I've been using the Silo trial for the last month and I love the way it's so focused and lightweight and just generally nice to be around - the reason I'm not going to purchase is that Max has a superior modelling and UV toolset.

This experience prompted me to think seriously about trying to cut the fat out of max and bend it into something a bit more resource friendly

I know it's possible to set different startup configurations and fire them up them using commandline/shortcut switches but I'm unsure as to how far you can go in terms of chopping stuff out and I'd rather not just stomp in using trial and error.

eg.
In an ideal world I'd be able to start max with nothing but poly editing modifiers, a few IO plugins,the material editor and UV tools loaded.

Has anybody looked into this seriously/done something dramatic and have any hints or tips?
I've done plenty of scripting and UI customisation so I'm fine in terms of interface enhancements but I'd like to streamline things under the hood as well.

cheers :)

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    yeah - I found your stuff shortly after posting (as is typical)

Your tool seems like a sensible idea for clawing back resources but it's a bit all or nothing for my purposes - i couldn't run a specific animation config and a specific modelling config at the same time for example (i don't think)

but meh, maybe ill pull my finger out of my arse and write myself a modeller one day