Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA 2] Weaver - Bladeweave

Admiral Skye
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Admiral Skye polycounter lvl 5
This is my 3rd entry in this contest and since no one gave me critiques or suggestions on the final model of my other 2 entries, I decided to start with a 3rd one. This time I chose Weaver. Unlike the other 2 entries, I'm tried to make concept art despite not being good at painting just to make it easier for me to know what I want to do. My design for this set involves blades sprouting out from his body. I made the carapace and the antennae, but they turned out a bit different from the art I made.

why5ao.jpg

xqhyqu.jpg

Replies

• Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I textured the carapace and the antennae. I also made the blade arms now.

6dtlpz.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I think you need to go bigger. Weaver is already a small hero with lots of movement and as it is right now, details like the blades on the hands are just gonna get lost because of that. And hey, bigger is better, right?! :P
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the blades bigger and while it's noticeable from up close, some blades are hard to notice from a distance. If I make them even bigger than now, they'll just look silly. Though I'm not sure if it might be hard to notice due to my laptop's small monitor.

w9797r.jpg

Small:
    255rtb7.jpg

Big:
    w1wsa8.jpg
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the mesh for the legs. I also noticed that Weaver has a misc slot that isn't being used for anything. So I'm using it to add extra blades to his head and abdomen, because why not.

2prtrsx.jpg
  • Managor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far it looks really good.
  • Vindalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are concerned about the blades not being visible from afar, I'd suggest you use one of the Weaver' accent colors (red, purple) to make it pop out more from the rest of your model. As for the misc slot, see if Weaver has some kind of item hiding around somewhere. I'm doing Drow Ranger who has a misc slot as well, and it turns out it was her quiver. Looking forward to seeing the rest!
  • Admiral Skye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the textures for the legs and misc.

About the misc slot. I carefully checked Weavers model. It's composed of the base mesh, carapace(back), antennae(head), arms, and legs. I did not find any other mesh in the model and I did not find any extra maps that's not from the meshes I listed. It didn't seem to have removed anything in when I tested it in-game.

I will also see what I can do about the blades not being visible from afar. I'll try using his accent colors like you said.

2na3byc.jpg
    1zp1lr5.jpg