Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Average Hero Character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
Hey Polycount, little while since I started a new wip, have been getting increasingly frustrated with my previous projects becoming unfinished dust gatherers.

So I decided the only way to combat this was to force myself to work on a project every day until it's finished, and I've been doing just that for the past week or so, even if it's just an hour a night after work.

Anyway, enough with words, time for images, let me know what you think, any feedback is much appreciated.

High poly as it stands is fairly final on the clothing front, unless there are any problems spotted, head and hands though still need a lot of work.

herojoe004.jpg

And a quick bake using very temporary uv's of the clothes. Low poly currently sits at 4382 tris.

herojoe003.jpg

herojoewire003.jpg

Replies

• mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on current progress texturing the clothes. Flat shading at the moment, diffuse only.

herojoe005.jpg
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    The sculpting and topology on this are great, and you've got a good start on the texturing. The only thing that seems to be lacking is how generic the design is. As the thread name says, he is a very "average hero character". The point of a portfolio piece is to show your art/technical skills of course, but you also want your pieces to stand out to the viewer and be memorable. For example, you could do something like give him torn up clothes, a machete and cowboy hat, or give him a rocket launcher and bicycle - I'm just throwing random stuff out there that would add personality and make him more memorable.

If I didn't read the thread and just looked at your second post, I would have thought that it was supposed to be Dexter in his "kill suit".
    bUULm.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt thanks man, really helpful and comprehensive advice there, helped out a lot. I had wanted to give him some kind of personality from the beginning, it was just figuring out what, I had a bunch of ideas of what I wanted and have finally settled on one I rather like, thanks your advice really helped out.

So I've tweaked a few things texture wise, got started on the spec for the metalalic elements, and got to do some sub-D work on him in the form of a police badge, going to also do a beaten up pass once I get into properly sculpting the head, dont want to go too severe on it. Let me know what you think, always looking for feedback.

herojoe006.jpg

herojoe007.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Great texture work so far man, love the cloth sculpting too!
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    i would like to see the belt. small detail like that would make the are more interesting
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. I like it. I kinda agree about the belt.

Are you going to alpha out the chain in the necklace or leave it as is? From far away you can't even tell.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    It looks pretty cool, I think you should go back to a lighter color for the shirt, black doesn't do your work justice. Really dark colors don't look so good under most lighting conditions, so event if you stay with black, think about making it a dark grey.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe thanks man

osk decided back when I was building the high poly that I didn't want to include a belt, but I do have a few spaces left on my main UV map which would suit long rectuangular shapes so I may build one into it if it feels like it needs it.

nyx702 cheers, I tried alphaing the chain initially but it mipped out so quickly there was literally no point so I'm thinking I'll leave it as is

Edrice thanks for the advice, I'd been working in ideal lighting conditions for so long that I'd managed to overlook that, lightened the shirt to a more medium grey, I'll post some pics once I've made more significant changes to the texture.

Anyway, hardly want to bump without some kind of update, got the head and hands retopo'd and baked over the weekend. Just the normal map at the moment, so looks a little rough.

herojoe009.jpg

herojoewire009.jpg

And started work on a glock style handgun today when I got back from work. Luckily it's a fairly simple shape so didn't take much work to build the high and low polys, and it's only earlly days on the textures.

herojoe008.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I really thought it was Dexter at first too
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 it's funny, people keep telling me to watch dexter, still haven't seen an episode

Quick update on the gun, did a bit more texture work so that it doesn't, suck quite as much; and I created a clip for it as well.

herojoe010.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    looks pretty nice so far, i'm curious though, why did you make up some sort of vaguely glock 17 loking gun, but then not specifically copy the glock?
  • Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    I opened this thread and immediately thought this was Dexter as well. Haha, good stuff!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace cheers, I'm not much of a fan of the glock but I wanted it to be recognisable with the police in some manner, so I took the elements that I do like which is basically the silhouette, still have to add some details for it such as the safety and what not.

Zyloh Thanks, completely unintentional haha, might have to take people up on their recomendations and give it a watch some time.

Got some more work done over the week, not as much as I would like though, mainly been focusing on the spec for the clothing and I've began work on the damage pass, just some scuffs and blood stains at the moment. And on top of that I finally got it out of maya, and into marmouset, let me know what you think, all feedbacks welcome.

herojoe012.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice clean work. I like it! Are you going to give him hair? I think he would look better with some.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori Yeah hair is on the way, it's something that I need to do some planning of before I begin as I need to figure out if I'm going to be using hair plains or sculpting a base of some sort. Gonna get some work done on that tonight, hopefully will have something usable soon enough.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    The texture work on him is amazing! great work man, I'm looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with his head.
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    textures are looking great. maybe more spec on boots with some variations in dirt.
    waiting to see face and hair.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Good work. Great textures and sculpting. I agree for the boots to have a bit more shininess at the base (wet mud).

Also not to be hatin or anything but imo the necklace/badge doesn't look that great compared to the rest of it. That type of character wouldn't be putting it there because it would get in the way when he's running after people. I suggest getting rid of the chain and putting the badge on the belt area where the shirt is lifted.

Keep it up!