Offline / Send Message
AlbinLundahl polycounter lvl 5
[FINAL RENDER]
beautyrender01.jpg
beautyrender02.jpg
finalrenderconstruction.jpg]
finalrendertextures.jpg

Hello Polycount!

I am going to make a character for an assignment in school, and for the first three weeks I'm going to make the Highpoly. Then I'm gonna spend three more weeks for the Lowpoly with textures. I will be using Maya and Zbrush for the Highpoly.

My character is an assassin, made for a third person game for this console generation. Here is my concept and references:

conceptandmoods.jpg

I realize and admit it looks alot like an assassin from assassins creed, but I'm gonna try to put my own look to it.

Look back for more updated these coming weeks, and feel free to leave a comment full of critique! :)

Cheers!

Replies

• uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He looks rather noisy for an assasin ;). All those clinging metal parts... Also I think silhouette lacks dynamism and curves, he doesn't read as agile and swift right now.

Good luck duder :).
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love your concept. I agree with uncle on the metal so you might want to limit how much he has. I did your design and think you planned it out well.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points, gonna leather up some more of those metal parts, thanks for the input you guys!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a base in Zbrush which I can model on to get correct proportions. Gonna try to pose it better when I'm done, and then I can start building all the pieces.

wipbase.jpg
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought about the concept of Assassin, and that really just came from that he kind of looked like something from assassins creed and nothing more. Maybe I should change that vision to something more fitting the concept, like a lightweight warrior och even a necromancer or cultist. Then maybe I could keep the metal parts, and the mask would be more fitting. Any thoughts?
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipblockout.jpg

New progress, started blocking out the different clothing parts in maya and exporting to zbrush.

Did a redesign of the pants because I thought "hey, boots are pretty cool!", but now I'm not sure at all, so when I'm done with the blockout i'm gonna make the pants in the original concept too and compare them.

A lot of prince of persia atm, not really the direction I wanted, but I think it'll give a truer representation when I'm done with the blockout.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipblockout2front.jpg
    wipblockout2back.jpg

Even more progress, although slow. Made more blockout pieces in maya. And I went back to the old pants design, feels better that way. Starting to form into something at least.
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    sorry to mention it right now, but I fear your anatomy is off. I'm no pro, but I've always learned that the length from the top of the head to the crotch is the same as the distance between the crotch and ankles. ergo: his legs are somewhat short.
    I really like the concept, and you could keep him as an assassin, but more of the aggressive and noisy kind. Have fun with all the details =D
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, my friend pointed that out too just as I posted this, it bacame like that because I tried to bend his knees to get a more relaxed pose, but now that I added his pants they are not bent anymore, but still the same height. So thank you for pointing it out, never the wrong time to mention things like that :D Gonna fix it tomorrow.

Hehe, noisy assassin, never gets old.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipstartsculptfront.jpg
    wipstartsculptback.jpg

Finished the blockout in maya, gonna move on to zbrush now, experimenting my way towards the final high poly.

Also tried to fix the anatomy, and I think it got better, now I just gotta fix the pose from the side, not dynamic enough.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another day, more progress, I'm a little lost in the process of what to work on, but at least it's moving forward, in a somewhat desired direction.

wipsculp.jpg

Crits more than welcome!
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    I love the look. Really cool.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'm hoping it'll turn out cool in the end :D
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipsculptwhatamidoing.jpg

I feel like I'm just doing random things, some turn out good, some horrible. There's gotta be a better workflow for this.

Still have no idea what to do with the pants, they're too plain.

Ignore the mask, will probably change it.
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    You are really getting those shapes in there. It's looking great, I am just waiting to see how it will looked texture. Good job, great start.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's gotta be a better workflow for this.

Yea that is what concepting is for. You figure that stuff out before hand so you can concentrate on one thing at a time (form/shapes.)

It's looking cool regardless.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nyx702 wrote: »
    Yea that is what concepting is for. You figure that stuff out before hand so you can concentrate on one thing at a time (form/shapes.)

It's looking cool regardless.

True enough, should probably do some paintovers or something. And thank you :)
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipsculpt3.jpg

About one week left now for the assignment, think I'm still on track.

Still got some work on the pants to do, but the other parts are actually coming along nicely. Got help from a friend with the mask, kinda got a Tengu-vibe about, and I feel good about. Gonna look around for more similar references to implement.

Check back for more!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I like that armor design. Feels nice and consistent, gives a solid vibe of the...culture...world...place, that this dude is part of.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I know all that fabric is aesthetically pleasing, but I've never understood that kind of outfit. It seems like the flowy fabric is more likely to cause more noise by flapping in the wind or brushing against itself during a run. It also seems like the further the fabric is from the body, the more opportunities the wearer has to get caught up in thing.

I'm not suggesting Albin changes a thing though; it looks sick, reads appropriatly and looks accurate to the time period.
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    I really like it, only thing that is a little iffy for me is the pants. If you look at this reference below I think you could incorporate some of the interesting shapes of it. The reference some cool big baggy folds while yours tends to have more small folds. Also I feel like it would be cool if you could have some of the fabric hanging down over, from where it goes down into the shoes. I also tend to like the slightly lower groin area of the ones in the picture I'm showing.

8172.jpg
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for the support you guys, makes me really motivated to make this awesome! :)

Two Listen: Good that you feel that it's consistent! Although maybe I should figure out this "place" you speak about from where he comes from, cause I really have no idea where that would be, might be a problem!

BringMeASunkist: It's all valid and true, will have to think more about function on my next project, feels like it makes the character more believable :)

OrangeKnight: Yes, as I said I'm also unsure about what to do with the pants, I wanna keep the basic shape, but as you say, I should work on giving them some "realism" making them affected by gravity, cause i think that's what's missing.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipbasedone.jpg

Worked some on the pants today, found some pictures of what I think are called Afghani Harem Pants, and I really liked the crazy folds, and that they were made of alot of fabric. Not perfect yet, but tweakable.

The biggest problem is that the pose is just not dynamic at all from the side, it's just a straight line. Kinda hard to bend the legs with these pants, think the shape will be lost, but maybe I can do something about the upper body area.

Hope you all like it!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipdetails.jpg

Started adding details, really fun process, and I think some areas are starting to look pretty good. Changed my mask once again, still unsure with what to go with, gotta work that out soon. Right now it's a top metal part and a jaw underneath which could be made of wood.

I know much of his equipment is illfitting of an assassin, and as I said in an earlier post, i was thinking of changing him to a lightweight warrior, or cultist of some sort. Think the mask would be kind of fitting for a cultist.

Friday's the deadline, so gotta give it all until then!

Look back for more!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipdetailscomplete.jpg

Some more detailing work, and going in and fixing various stuff. Not much time left now, but still need to fix the shoulderguard and the thing on his butt.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My highpoly is now finished! There are still certain things I would have wanted to fix, but this part of the assignment is over, and I'm still happy about it. Next week I will begin on lowpoly + textures, stay tuned!

Rendered in Maya Mental Ray, with an AO pass multiplied on.

presentation01.jpg
    presentation02.jpg
    presentation03.jpg
    presentation04.jpg
    presentation05.jpg
    presentation06.jpg

Comments are more than welcome! :)

Later!
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really like the look of this character but think u need to spend some time refining the details... kinda seems like a concept sketch right now
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you SA_22, might come back and do that later on this piece, for now I have to go on for the assignment. You're right about the detail level, would love to refine it, and I will try harder to push that on my next piece!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Loving this piece so far. The detail you've put on there; is it via displacement maps, or have you used alphas to just sculpt it on?

Cheers.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you David! :)

Most of the details are made by either handpainting, alot of dam_standard brush, and some by using insert mesh brushes i made quickly, like the seams. Not a lot of it done by alpha.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the late update, been swamped with school game project.

wiplowpoly.jpg

Started working on the lowpoly, UV-mapping it now. With sword and all, just below 12k tris, which is my limit, so I think I'm doing fine.

More updates to come! After UV comes the texture!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipbaked.jpg

New update, final lowpoly with baked normals and AO (baked lowpoly AO in Maya, with AO made from normals with ndo2 multiplied over).

I'm feeling kinda good about it, though I'm a little stressed to make it on time, deadline is next friday, and I have a lot of work to do with another project in school. But it'll probably be fine.

Anyway, hope you guys like it! Check back for more updates.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiptexture.jpg

Started on the texture. Not sure about all the colors, but my workflow allows easy changing of colors. Lots of layers with selections.

Check back for more!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiptexture2.jpg

This is where I'm at with the texture. Got until friday to finish the texture and then pose and take some shots for the presentation.

More updates coming!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiptexture3.jpg

More work on the texture, slowly getting more detail and grunge in some areas, alot left though.

Stay tuned!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiptexture4.jpg

More texturework. Took a break from texturing to rig it for posing, gonna weight it tomorrow and then go back to finalizing textures before presentation and deadline.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    characterspin.gif

Did a quick spin gif, dunno about settings, so it's not so good quality, sorry about that.

Gonna do some poses and rendering it out for presentation, deadline in 6,5 hours!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Really nice work, awesome character.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea texture turned out really good.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man looks really cool! have some crits on the texture atm. Your spec on the leather you have is a little too uniform, kind of feels a bit texture-less when the spec highlight runs across it, esp on the forearm armor and the front of the chest where the normals are a bit less strong. try adding some grunge and scratches just in the spec map, to get a bit more contrast there. it looks like you have some grunge in the diffuse there, maybe tweak the levels to get a bit more contrast in the spec. also what shader are you using to do these screen-grabs? and can we get some higher res stills from a few more angles? the design of this guy is really quite cool, very close now, just keep working on it!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys!

Good points woogity, have tried to add some grunge to the specmap, but as you're saying it's still too uniform. Gonna try to make some quick changes and then post some higher res screenshots, but then I've gotta move on to the presentation for the assignment deadline.

I'm using a Physically Based Lighting-shader made by two teachers at our school. You can check it out at kostas.se. It's redered in Maya Viewport 2.0.

Stay tuned, more stuff coming up soon!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautyrender01.jpg
    beautyrender02.jpg
    finalrenderconstruction.jpg]
    finalrendertextures.jpg

The final result, presented 30 minutes before deadline. :)

Really happy with the character overall, although there are, as always, many things that could be better. But the important part is that i've learned alot, and the next project will be even better.

Please leave a comment if you've got critique or anything, will read it all and try to take it with me to my next project.

Thank you for all the awesome feedback all of you, it really helped me finish the project in time! :)

Cya in the future, cheers!