polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Fingus polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Putting the first update here for posterity.

guerilla_WR1.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! Reminds me a lot of the hunters from Princess Mononoke, keep it up! The only thing that looks a bit odd is that the bigger part of the bow is at the top, I'd flip the whole thing 180° if I were you. Otherwise, great job, looking forward to seeing this fully realized
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great suggestion on the bow! Looks a lot better.

Looking over how the rig works and how things are segmented I had to change my approach a bit. I originally intended for the hood to be part of the cape, but discovered that if I do that I can't replace the hair. So either I make the hood conform around the basic hair, or I make it the head slot. Both have problems. The first approach will not work with other hair replacements, and the second one will look odd on its own and may not match other pieces well.

So I decided to try different hairstyles instead. Not really settled on any of them just yet, although I'm leaning towards G.

hair_grid_01.png

I reworked the shoulderpads a bit. And looked into integrating ropes or bolas referencing her Shackleshot skill which is a big part of her gameplay. Still not certain which slot to tie them into, I suppose the back would be most logical, but the polycount could be tricky.

WR_02.png

Also I started working on the model for the shoulders, and was able to bring them into the game. I kept reading that you had to select both the bones and the mesh when you export, but that doesn't seem to be necessary when you use Maya. You just have to skin the mesh to the bones and then export only the mesh.

dwadwadawd.PNG

shoulderpads_01.png
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Looks so clean in game! reads nicely :D
  • tjallen8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I really like those shoulders you've done. Very nice idea with the camouflage.

Out of those alternative head-slot concepts, I really like the hairstyle on the first three. G is good too, but there's something about the tied up + bandanna look that I like, it suits the "cheapshot" theme. I prefer both ideas to the leafy hood.

Don't mean to be rude, but there's something about the size/shape and texture of the cape that reminds me of a Christmas tree. Maybe the criss-crossing bolas are also reminding me of tinsel.

Strange idea, but bear with me, maybe you could replace her cape with a rucksack hanging on her back, it would be hanging over the quiver which is still visible. It could be brown leather to suit her quiver. For some nice details you could have a bunch of bolas hanging down from the backpack. You could also have some camouflage like leafs and twigs on the bag.

Here's a quick drawing I did, I'm horrible at it but I hope you can get my point. I was imagining the bolas to match the one you drew on her belt.

windrunnerrucksackidea.png

Just an idea in case you want to try replacing the cape.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm leaning strongly towards a bandana too. I'll try some combinations of that with the G.

As for the backpack, that's a good idea! I was considering doing a big heavy one for an outdoorsman theme. But the concept centers very much around the camouflage so I'd want the leaves the be very visible. Besides I already started modeling the cape and decided to go for the rope around the chest.

Not too thrilled about the dracula collar, and her neck looks really bare. I'll probably revisit it.

cape01.png

Also I discovered to my joy that Windrunner's material supports transparency, so proper foliage yo!

import01.png
  • Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg waaaat that's insane!!!!!!! +1

edit: I mean about the transparency and your foilage on her shoulders, that's awesome
  • ACap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful character and strong idea. Just have some thoughts about your shoulders may be adding a bit more flow to the design would make it better? Though natural feel can be a bit lost, but I think a bit of stilisation would look nice. Great job so far, Keep it up!