Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2013 Normal seam

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
hannes d polycounter lvl 12
hello

i have a problem when displaying normal maps in 3ds max 2013
i tried xoliul and 3point shader, both give the problem
i think it is being gamma corrected, i read a few threads and they all said that
but my gamma correction is of
enabling also doesn't help
when i export it in unity, or open it in max 2012, it displays correctly
(edit: on closer look, the seams are still there sometimes in 2012, but barely noticable)
the solution to make it display correct in 3ds max is to remove all the smoothing groups, bake, and display on the model without smoothing groups
but the bad part is that when exported to a game engine it is full of hard lines because there are noo smoothing groups

here is a comparison between max 2012 and 2013
including prefernces
and the normal map (wich has no alpha, tried tga and png)
testbox2012copy.png
setting1213.jpg
box1213.jpg

similar threads:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72767 (no solution)
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102491

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Same problem here.
    Using 3dsmax RTT.

I have just been using 2012 as a "fix"

A while ago I also did some tests, and it displays fine everywhere (3dsmax2012, UDK, 3dsmax2013 with the standard nitrous viewport preview, etc)

Only when using Direct3D with Xoliul in 2013(haven't tested 3point since there is no 2013 version yet afaik) there are seams.

If needed I can put up some screenshots of my findings as well.
  • hannes d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
    i tried baking with 3ds rtt 2012 and 2013, same results
    it's not the bake thats bad, but the preview in max 2013

nitrous only works with the default normal bumpmap in max, not xoliul, but its really ugly compared to xoliul or 3point
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    As far as I know, 2013 has some problems with TBN and directx shaders. I cannot get any of my shaders to work properly at work.

Writing a custom shader to return the tangent and bitangent per vertex to the viewport shows flat (or practically flat) colours in 2013, where the exact same shader shows expected results in 2012 and 2011 where the tanent and bitangent vary over the surface.

It's not the assets (or at least that's not the only potential problem) it is the viewport.

And yes I tested this all with nitrous off and gamma correction off, so it should show parity between 2012 and 2013. :(

booo!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried it using a standard material?

What does it look like if you "render" the scene?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    cw wrote: »
    As far as I know, 2013 has some problems with TBN and directx shaders. I cannot get any of my shaders to work properly at work.

Yep, I've resigned myself to previewing in marmoset exclusively. Why exactly Autodesk would change something AGAIN is beyond me. Seems like a form of sport, really.