Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Lone Druid – Warrior of the North

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
Latest:
sketch_06.jpg

EDIT: not making a northern warrior anymore, now more of a life-infused furry theme. :)
So ignore this shizzle:

Working on some ideas for the Lone Druid. His accent, the title "druid" and his bear makes me think of the northern celtic warriors, norn warriors from GW and the nords from skyrim. I'm thinking larger circular disks w/lots of furs. And of course a badass helm with horns and a beard poking out the bottom.:)

I may even take a shot at the bear, maybe giving him a polar bear or a grizzly-that'd be easier to keep within the color scheme.

Some actual concepting tonight.

Replies

• Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    HERE we GO! Can't wait to see it dude! Make it happen!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you cooking up some ideas Owl? I'd love to see more familiar faces in this contest (I'm pushing some of my coworkers to join :)).
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some sketches from tonight:
    The second from left is mostly to test out some color combination junk, trying to figure if I can get some metallic colors in there without upsetting the nice triadic color harmony already present. I'll update this image when I sketch some more. :)
    sketches_01.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some z-sketching since my 2d skills are kind of crap:

I'm thinking of making a more Life-focused druid, as the whole nordic theme wasn't working so well. The fur is divided into two types, as I'm still trying to find out which one will look the best.
    sketch_03.jpg
  • MetalBear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Shrew81, I love what you are going for. I agree, the nordic thing isn't working out. In my opinion it is the colors: they don't match the nordic reference you have.

I absolutely love what you are making. The fur, the wood, the handcrafted wood, the fangs. It's great, keep it up! :)
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Thanks MetalBear!

Haven't worked on this much, but I woke up early and have a few updates on the main stuff:
    sketch_04.jpg

I haven't touched a few bits, but I'll get more polish on things when I'm sure everything is going my way.

I also have some hair variants I'm taking a look at:
    sketch_05.jpg

Currently, he's getting more of a beefy silhouette than the original, so some major changes may be happening over the weekend, and if all goes well, I should be onto the low/uvs/bake/texture in the not-to-distant future. :)

Suggestions welcome!
  • LittleVagrant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LittleVagrant polycounter lvl 8
    That is some nice beard action you got going there.