Home Technical Talk

Maya : transfer weight influence from a mesh to another

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
-Em'- polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

I would like to know if this is possible : transfer weight influence from a mesh to another.

example :
- I have my biped composed of 1 mesh
- then the same biped but with separate legs, arms, etc

Skinning seperate models to fully match border edge during animation is a huge problem.

----

The aim of this is to create some modular pawn in UDK, so i need perfect matching. :)

thanks ! I'm taking any advice, any tut or thread !

Replies

• Warheart
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    Have you tried Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Copy Skin Weights?

To use it, select the source mesh (the one with correct skin weights) then shift select the target mesh (it must already be skinned to the correct joints) and then use Copy Skin Weights.

If you need a tool that will copy from multiple source meshes to multiple target meshes (and also skin the target meshes to the correct joints) then you might want to try this tool.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Warheart's got you on the right track. The Copy Skin Weights tool will do what you want, and can even transfer from multiple objects to 1 object. Make sure your new mesh is bound to the joints you want. Then just select all your meshes to transfer FROM then select the mesh to transfer TO then hit copy weights.
    EDIT: Reread your post, looks like you want to transfer from 1 mesh to multiple meshes. That would take multiple clicks with the Copy Skin Weights tool. That's not much work, though. Just select the wholebody mesh, then select a piece of the separated mesh, then copy. Rinse repeat.

There are a couple transfer methods. If the UVs are the same but the geometry is different, make sure to transfer using UV space. If the Geometry is the same, you're probably okay to transfer using Closest Point on Surface.
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    hey thanks for the feedbacks !

I just tested the copy skin weight button, seems to work well !
    Don't know why i didn't notice it before.