Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Punisher Zbrush First project

Metall
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Metall polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys,

I always wanted to work with zbrush, and now is the time.

I want to create the Punisher as drawn by Garth Ennis and Leandro Fernandez.

So I have little experience in zbrush, and it would be great to get some feedback.

I started out creating a basic basemesh and started sculpting in zbrush after that. This is my progress so far. I have put most time in the arms and chest area. The legs are far from the right size and the head is not very good yet either.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanx

Remco van den Berg
NHTV Game Architecture and Design, Visual Arts student.

Replies

• Metall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall polycounter lvl 5
    This is my reference so far.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're moving up in subdivision levels too quickly, which in turn is getting the lumpiness in your sculpt. Keep your model as low a polycount as possible, sculpt on it and tweak the proportions gradually, and you should find you have a lot more control with your tools and the look of the sculpt.

Unfortunately, such is art in the fact that your sculpt won't look like much for about 70% of the total process time. But if you take it in small steps, you'll have a lot stronger foundation upon which to work so when you do get into the fun detailing process it's icing on top of a well-built cake.

Keep working at it, and don't get discouraged.
  • Metall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah it's really tempting to throw it into a high division. Thank you for the tips!
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    It's really horrible, but hey! You have to start somewhere.
    Get some anatomy reference and start over and take your time to get it right.
  • Metall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys,

I have been working on the model for a little while now and I will show my progress a little later. I have been working on a boot for the character as well. It took me a while but this is it so far. I thought it was good enough for now. Just to prevent my going apeshit on the details in the shoe.
  • Metall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys. It has been a little while and I have been working my ass off trying to improve the model. But now I feel a bit stuck.. Could anyone please give me some feedback on what I can improve on the model?

I would appreciate it a lot!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    You're model looks like it's really improving in a huge way! Nice job.

I should preface this first by saying that I'm not a character artist so I could be all wrong, but I would model a blank face for this character. If I'm not mistaken, facial expressions comes from rigging, not modeling.
  • Howl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress so far. You've definitely come a long way from the first post.

I totally agree with BringMeASunkist. It'd be much better practice to sculpt him with a neutral face that you can pose out late.

I'd still consider going back and continuing to study the anatomy in areas like the neck and arms.

Here's a quick sketch with some exaggerated forms where I think you can push the anatomy more.

BwLJa.jpg

-Some key points are to give the forearm a lot more mass and shape.
    -Watch how the muscles of the shape curve in towards each other.
    -The collarbone could be a bit more pronounced even with the shirt on.
    -I'm not seeing the shape of the chest muscles very much, especially a bit of the cavity in the middle.
    -With arms of those size I'd imagine his Lat muscles, the ones on the back below the armpits would be a bit more pronounced. It would also help give the arms some connection to the the body.
    -The gap on the legs seems very wide.
    -I'd also study hands and fingers a little more.
    -The pinky finger seems to be almost as long as the ring finger.

I think overall this is really good progress. As a tip since you mentioned this is your first Zbrush projects, forget the shirt and pants so that you can really focus on nailing down the overall anatomy of the figure. A solid foundation will really help you out in your projects down the road. That's just my opinion though.

Can't wait to see more!
  • Metall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall polycounter lvl 5
    Thanx for the feedback BringMeASunkist you are right. I have been playing around with the face a bit too long :P but a neutral face is better.

Thank you on the anatomy feedback Howl. I knew there were a lot of things not right yet and your feedback points out exactly what I needed to hear!

now... back to work
  • Metall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall polycounter lvl 5
    Small update:

- Hands need to improve a lot more
    - Still need to improve the shoes and his face.
    - He needs teeth.
    - Blendshapes are part of the assignment so still need to do that. Anybody know any good tutorials?
  • Todday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todday polycounter lvl 11
    Nice detail with the old school Punisher. Down to the "T".
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Huge improvement with your most recent update. Not bad for your first Zbrush project. Keep at it.
  • Howl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really incredible progress! I'm really liking the new direction on the face also.

Here's a quick anatomy note. Right now it feels like the trapezius muslce is ending far too early, before it can connect to the shoulder.

2zKCT.png

Since I'm not sure if you mean for him to be super bulky or just muscular, here are two extremes of that area, one on the hulk and one on some anatomy guy. You can see how the neck and trapezius blend nicely into the shoulder.

On the left I've outlined your current shape and a suggested shape below it.

izRlO.jpg
  • Metall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall polycounter lvl 5
    you are right the way you drew it the mass makes him a bit more bulky and impressive.

I got a little question about another thing. I want to give him a Shoulder holster for his gun like this:

How should I create that? inside of zbrush or should I make a basemesh for it in Maya?

Once again thanks for the feedback guys! It has helped me a lot!
  • Howl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall wrote: »
    you are right the way you drew it the mass makes him a bit more bulky and impressive.

I got a little question about another thing. I want to give him a Shoulder holster for his gun like this:

How should I create that? inside of zbrush or should I make a basemesh for it in Maya?

Once again thanks for the feedback guys! It has helped me a lot!

I don't think the link came through. I personally like to quickly model out hard surface stuff (is leather hard surface? I guess so) and then bring it to zbrush to sculpt the form and details. Though there might be better ways with things like Dynamesh. That's just my personal workflow.
  • Metall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metall polycounter lvl 5
    hi guys. Here is the final result. Not super satisfied but for my first sculpt its oke, on to the next one. Thank you for the feedback!
  • jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Even if it isn't what you wanted exactly i see a hell of a lot of improvement!
    keep up the good work :)
  • Howl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool piece. Don't worry if its not your favorite, its all part of the learning process! I'll be looking forward to the next one.