Home Full time/Part time work

Hiring Environment Artists - Just Add Water (UK)

tda
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
tda polycounter lvl 16
JAW are currently seeking talented Environment Artists to join our team to help develop a wealth of new Oddworld Inhabitants titles.

You will be collaborating with the other environment artists on the team to visualise and create the levels and environments in our games. A successful applicant must demonstrate a flair for environment art and should be experienced at using a combination of 3D Studio Max/Maya, ZBrush/Mudbox and Photoshop. Your main roles will include:
  • Creation of high poly assets for use in normal/AO baking.
  • Creating and exporting low poly assets for use in-engine.
  • Texturing in Photoshop.
  • Collaborating with our game designers to lay out levels in our editing tools and populate them with the assets you and others have created.
As we are working on well-established IP you will also need to demonstrate the ability to closely match existing concept artwork and style guides.

Experience in the gaming industry is a plus but not necessary; we will consider any applicant if their portfolio is strong enough. Similarly any previous industry work on an AAA title is a bonus, but not required.

Salary will be negotiated based on experience.

The jobs available are in-house at our offices in Otley, Leeds (UK). We are not currently accepting applicants from overseas.

To apply for either of these jobs visit www.jawltd.com/jobs and fill out the appropriate application form. Be sure to submit an up to date CV/Resume and please make sure to include samples of your work (a link to your portfolio is fine). Alternatively you can email directly to jobs@jawltd.com. You can also reply to this thread or drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I saw this posted on the Oddworld inhabitants facebook, immediately applied..then saw it was UK only.... I curled into a ball and cursed that I was born in the colonies...You guys did an awesome job on Stranger's Wrath HD..can't wait for the next installment!

/gush
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    low odor wrote: »
    I saw this posted on the Oddworld inhabitants facebook, immediately applied..then saw it was UK only.... I curled into a ball and cursed that I was born in the colonies...You guys did an awesome job on Stranger's Wrath HD..can't wait for the next installment!

/gush

+1 (x1000) :C
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »

/gush

Agreed - the work was AWESOME!

Having heard much about your company from my University (Leeds Met) I wish I could apply now! Will probably hear from me after games republic; hopefully I will stand out amongst the rest :)

-

David
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Hopefully in the future when the studio is a little bigger we'll be looking at taking overseas applicants as well. It's sad having to turn down a lot of great talent just because of where they happen to be in the world.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    hello, well first off I'm sorry i sent an application even though I live in France :poly136:. I only noticed it was UK only when I came here to ask a question.

My question is, where can I put a link to my portfolio when applying from the website? I clicked "next" after inputing all the personal informations, I thought that there would be another page where I could put some samples of my works for you to check it but unfortunatly it sent you an application ( from france without any work for you to see hehe, who would even consider this kind of application right? )
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    As we only have the submission form for the cv/resume i generally just look for a link to each applicant's portfolio in the cv itself. So yeah don't worry, i did see your work (nice stuff on there :)), its just a shame we're not looking overseas at this time.
  • Essenz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I would give you a shout on here before I put forward an application. Are you likely to consider someone who is essentially a UDK and Unity scripter/level designer but has examples of environment art/level design and low poly assets created in 3d studio max? (I live in the UK, have been in the games industry for 3 years)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    I've applied for this :) Thanks so much for the opportunity it would be a pleasure and an honour to work for you guys!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Essenz - We're primarily looking for people with strong modelling and texturing skills, however we look at and consider all applications based on their merits. If you have a portfolio with examples of your work then there's no harm in trying!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Well I hope that somebody invents teleportation soon...I'd punch 100 kittens in the face live on youtube to work on Oddworld. Hell, that's the game that made me want to work in games. Curse you, Atlantic ocean! CURSE YOU!
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Indeed a shame that it is UK only, we would love to sink our teeth into some of this material