Adventure Time - Fionna

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Frump polycounter lvl 12
Latest:
Beauty.jpg
Highpoly.jpg
Fionna_3.jpg

It's thread time, c'mon grab your friends...

I'm making an adaption of the Adventure Time character Fionna. I love the show and wanted to make a female character, so here we are.

I'm trying to make her like a real person rather than cartoony, because that's my jam as a game artist. I have a lot of ref of people cosplaying her for an idea of how it should look.

342352424523523523.png

Thanks for looking

Replies

• spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    I like where this is going so far design wise. Her forearm looks a little bit too long.
    That is the only thing standing out to me right now, just nudge that back a little bit and you'll be good. Keep at it :)
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Cool.

Anatomy critiques:
    The lower back dimples look too defined. Her arms seem to be too long. The shoulders make her look like a weightlifter (nothing wrong with that as she is an adventurer) but the rest of her body doesn't really match. The forearms are disproportionately thick around the elbows, and she's got bulgy wrists. Her head is too tall with the hat and her neck is on the short side. The corners of her lips extend very far past the bulbous parts, which are very thick. Her thighs/hips/butt look like they might be too thin in the profile view based on their thickness in the front views.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @spiderDude Good call, I will bring back the length of the forearms.

@jmt That's a lot of stuff! Thanks. I will try to incorporate the changes into my next wip. I agree with a lot of it.
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    In my opinion, Fiona should be a lot more chubby, and maybe have larger hips, rather than a sucker punch main character body type.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, definitely don't go the standard supermodel route with this. It doesn't seem to fit the character well.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    I'm a big fan of hottie Fiona. No complaints here.
  • DrAlta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrAlta polycounter lvl 10
    Fiona has a big rear, thick thighs, beefy calves to match her arms and tiny feet(looks alot like chine foot binding.)
    And she has tiny hands(actually they and regularly sized hands and her arms are more beefy than the other chars).

Your model has big hands and sticky arms like Finn et al.

And way do the breast on your model only attach to the chest down to the level of her nipples then flop down the rest of the way?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    You forgot to model her nipples.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I've had to update some Dota2 stuff so I haven't had time to work on this.

@Lord Fryinpan, Snader, Dr Alta
    You guys are right that a different build might suit the character better, but that's not really the direction I want to take it. My goals are more to have an attractive ideal character. I'll see about increasing the size of the hips and thighs though, I think I could do that much.

If it's that big of a deal, I might switch the character. I am not super attached to it, just needed a jumping off point to get started on a new project. I can pretty much take this body and add whatever kind of costume I want to it. The only defining characteristics currently are the hat and hair bit, which were made in a few minutes.

@PogoP She's going to have a shirt on.

@natetheartist Thanks, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one in favor of not changing her build.

Cheers
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Alrighty, made several of the changes suggested and got a start on the clothes.

I need to step up my cloth game so I will be trying to do that when I get into it some more.

I did in the end give her more junk in the trunk and bigger hips/thighs and I think it looks alright, it's more interesting at least. I also reworked the face.

Let me know what you think, I feel like it's kind of plain so far. I still need to make the backpack and sword. Also planning on incorporating B-M-O somehow.

Cbo6W.jpg
    Tv0UI.jpg
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Your version is quite older than Fionna, isn't she like a younger teenager?
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, I agree with Denny. Your version seems quite older, but if you're gonna stick with the older version maybe play around with the bunny ears like make the flap down behind her.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    It's hard to say if the 2D version is a teen or an adult. I took a look on the Wikia, and they say 14 years old :

http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Fionna

So yeah, here she looks more like a 20 years old girl cosplaying Fionna ^^. But on the concept the shape of her is quite "adult", so I think you should do her really "chubby cute" as they say, even in the face, young and round, but still realistic.

PS : if you look for "chubby cute" on google you will only find pron and babies... where are the cats ? ^^
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @Denny, UltraLrod, Texelion Thanks for the comments. However, at this point I am going to stick with the age/build I have her. This is my interpretation of the character. If someone else wants to make a younger and cute chubbier version, power to them. If it helps, just imagine this isn't actually the character and is instead someone cosplaying as the character.

Stuff from today:
    S6u0U.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I feel the folds on the front of the skirt are a bit to pronounced and long at the highest point forward of the thighs, and that you could add some folds on the back of the skirt. Beyond that it looks awesome.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @Edrice: Thanks. I agree and have reworked the front of the skirt. Not sure if I fixed the issue you mentioned though.

Here's a mostly final high poly. The hair was/is placeholder. Also got around to doing a retopo and initial bake. I wanna finish this off soon so I can jump into the Dota 2 comp. :)

jB1Op.jpg
    jk3dQ.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Ahah this is awesome. Really nice curves you have goin on.

did you have a pose in mind?
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Hey I never noticed that, but the knees are inwards and the feet outwards, doesn't look a bit strange ?

Not sure about the topology on the shoulders too, seems like you don't have the required loops. But I suck at retopology ^^.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @LRoy Thanks. I have some poses in mind, but they all require some additional props. Should be fun to work out.

@Telexion Great point about the knees. I did know they were looking weird this whole time (and the angle of the feet) but I didn't put two and two together about the relationship with the feet. You also are probably right about shoulder geo, it's tricky, I'll look at some ref. Thanks!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I really dragged my heels through the retopo/UV/Bake process but I'm into the texturing now. Mostly just bake + base colors here.

For the geo I am going to add more loops around the elbows and make a lot of small cuts to pull out wrinkle silhouettes. It's sitting around 9500 tris all together.

1fJ5N
    1fJ5e
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I dig it..would be cool to give her a sword
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @low Odor Yup, I've started on a sword for her. It's currently just high poly and not much to show.

Today I mostly worked on the face texture and some details, so overall it doesn't look much different. Doing the face required redoing the face many times. I also made some small changes to geo for the wrinkle silhouettes.

1g3HH
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Abandoned the thread for a long time, but I've been working on this consistently in the background. Here's some mostly final shots. :)

YpNrv.jpg
    Highpoly.jpg
    Fionna_3.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    This really turned out great! Only thing thats bugging me is the more cartoon style grass she is standing on. Just a large contrast to the realistic character model.:)
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really loving this! I'm a big fan of the show and it's really cool to see Fionna in a different style. The only thing I really notice though is Fionna from the cartoon is a bit chubbier than the Fionna you made but other than that I still think you captured her character really well.
  • Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    That is sick, very nice work !
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Yay, I just love how you've adapted your reference to fit your niche x] Nice interpretation :D
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @biofrost The pedestal is the only throwback to the original style I have going on, and I wanted something to reference it. I played with having backgrounds from the show as background images but even blurred out and transparent it was too busy. I think it works.

@Synyster Good to know I captured the character, thanks.

@Tits Thanks, glad you like it.

@Jessica Dinh Yup, that was my goal and I stuck to it despite pretty much everyone telling me to do it differently. A bit stubborn on my part but I think the end result would have been the same. Thanks for the comment.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I was a bit skeptical about your direction with this, but you pulled it together nicely in the end. She looks like a Fionna cosplayer.

Are you planning to so anything more with the sword? With the increased level of detail across the rest of the model, it might be worth giving it a slightly more complex shape.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I was a bit skeptical about your direction with this, but you pulled it together nicely in the end. She looks like a Fionna cosplayer.

Are you planning to so anything more with the sword? With the increased level of detail across the rest of the model, it might be worth giving it a slightly more complex shape.

Yeah, I could definitely have made a more detailed/better sword but I kind of just wanted to move on to other projects, so I left it simple. I have a tendency to go back and try to improve old work, so maybe in the future?