Home Technical Talk

I could use a hand here :\

Hey Polycounters,

Still working on bringing this 2D maple structure to life and hit a wall here. Trying to model out this emblem, then I realized "how am i supposed to apply this flat object onto this curved surface"

here's how the whole emblem looks. here's half. Also, No matter what I do it seems I can't get those edges to line up perfectly with the align tools. Any tips on how you guys would go about this, and fixing those edges? I don't wanna just cut them emblem into 2 halves and place each half onto those 2 flat surfaces of the curves, unless that's the best way to go about it which I doubt. :shifty:

MZdaW.jpg

Ptvjr.jpg
zuovr.jpg
vws2x.jpg

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    More loops, bend modifier and taper modifier woud be a start.Or you could make the flat shape, add more loops and use conform brush from max > graphite modeling tools> freeform.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or just apply a 3x3 ffd modifyer and play around with the control points

EDIT: looking at your wireframe you might need to add some veritcal segments for it to work.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Try match maker in zbrush? Once you get to the sculpting stage, and it's high poly enough, of course.
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to mention this would be my LP model so I'm trying to keep it as low as possible. But thanks I'll try some of those out :) any other suggestions are welcome as I'm sure this won't be the only time I'll run into something like this
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Quick and simple method below.
    Unrelated note: You seem to have much too few segments on the big purple cylinder compared to how dense the geometry is in other areas.
    per128_maplestoryExtrude.jpg

I used the FFD3x3x3 and it worked great, thanks Vis :)

Perna, this method looks really good and I like boolean for attaching objects however no matter what options I use my boolean isn't coming out with results like yours. meaning, the edges of my emblem aren't being cut into my cylinder the way yours are. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong here.

I'm also a little confused by the segments thing you mentioned :\ Here's my whole structure so far

Eet1x.jpg
    ruexx.jpg
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    segments of a cylinder = how many polies are used around the circumference.

For std booleans you need to make sure neither object has open edges. Or, you can use power booleans

thanks again, open edges were in the back of my emblem :) I noticed my polycount is lower if I just intersect the objects and leave them floating rather than boolean, but I feel as if this is "cheating" since it's not all properly put together. Is this the case, or am I just overthinking?

As for the cylinder, I suppose I could throw in 3 edge loops to get the geometry of the wood, but I was hoping a normal baked from my HP would show that, once I get around to it. Would that work as well?
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're talking about segments along the length, I'm talking about segments around the circumference.
    Look at your base with the stairs cut into it. It has more segments than the purple bit even though it has the same radius. This doesn't make much sense. The Purple bit has like 4 feet between each segment while the white pillars have a few inches. For lowpoly, detail level is consistent.
    What is your target polycount?

If the final normal mapped lowpoly looks good, then any idea of "cheating" is irrelevant.

I see what you mean now I think. For the top, pillars and rings I used 12 segments for the radius, but for the base I used 18. Is this what you mean? noob mistake :(

I don't have a set-in-stone number for the polycount, I'm just generally trying to keep it low or what's considered low, I guess.. Maybe under 3k tris, or 1.5k polys?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    How large is the object going to be on-screen? if as large as in the reference picture, 3k is pitifully low. Remember that normal maps don't render any faster if you have few tris.
    Just like having a red car won't make you go faster (unless you're an Ork) :P
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How large is the object going to be on-screen? if as large as in the reference picture, 3k is pitifully low. Remember that normal maps don't render any faster if you have few tris.

well I suppose I was trying to get into the practice of having multiple poly versions of the same object (LP/MP/HP?) this would be the LP version that would be from afar, and when LOD is used, as the player would get close would switch to the MP and so on to the HP. Of course if LOD wasn't going to be used, and this was going to end up being a close-up model as in the photo I would aim for much higher polys/detail work instead of going through the trouble of making 3 versions. This is typically how it's done from what I've found, unless I'm mistaken again :|
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PC members :)

Haven't gotten to touch this in a while but I'm back trying to push forward again. As you mentioned Perna I instead tried focusing on getting the exact shape of the base, without worrying about LOD and such, but I did try to keep clean geometry in mind (obviously :) ) and as far as I can tell, I think I have a clean mesh here for the base. do all of the edges seem correct here?

Keep this for my LP model, I cloned it to begin trying to put in the edges and loops needed to keep its form once I bring this into ZB to Sub-d it. However I dont know how to go about this because of the strange shape of my object :( if I throw chamfers and e-loops around it really messes with the shape of some parts. Is there a best way to go about getting this thing ready for sub-d?

AIRMa.jpg
    1nLy3.jpg
    ZGmQR.jpg
    Q3euI.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    You don't need to keep it "water tight". Think what parts are there, and how they'd be in real life asembled.Then do tricks such as build repetitive parts as modules.
    88HnC.png
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Yes and no. Yes you have the idea right, but your shape is far too simplistic, and should not be one single mesh in this case. You need to keep in mind how loops are added when you create your base mesh - Understanding how turbosmooth will affect a mesh will grow the more you do it, so don't worry if it takes a while now.

What you are starting off with is a Low Poly model. This might be what you use in game, and what you bake the normal maps on to, but when you smooth it and scuplt it and decimate it in zbrush that low poly geometry means nothing and will get in the way. What you want to start with is a Base Mesh - a low poly, but simplistic mesh that doesn't need to run in realtime, it just needs to go into zbrush to be made into a high poly.

A clear example of this can be found here:http://www.brameulaers.com/tutorials/generic_wall_tutorial/generic_wall_tutorial.html

One of the important takeaways from that tutorial is that Bram makes individual meshes for individual stones. make new meshes where there are splits in real life, and reuse these meshes to build up an object where possible.

Hope that helps!
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the advice! I'm not sure if I'm grasping this right but it basically sounds like you're both (as well as the tutorial) giving the same advice, right? the reoccuring sides can be made by just making one "wall" , and duplicating it all around as needed, leaving a gap for the steps. module pieces, correct?

This leaves me with more questions now though :( going by my reference, the yellow "design" that wraps around the stone-cylinder base would be hard to sculpt out in zbrush on just 1 modular wall, and tiling it in a circle while making it look like it cleanly wraps all the way around the mesh, no? I figured it would be easier getting the whole base into zbrush, and just sculpting all around the mesh in 1 go, so the design connects all around the base and doesnt have any weird cutoffs or "tiling" looking effects.

the next question it brings up is if I were to make the stairs a seperate modular piece, I don't know how it would intersect into the base without looking..silly, i guess?,ugh I'm sorry guys, I'm really trying to understand this I swear. I feel like I'm close but at the same time I'm so unsure

vws2x.jpg
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. I think you've got lowpoly, hipoly, LOD, cage mesh, all of that completely mixed up. In short I think you're way ahead of yourself and would benefit from focus: learn one thing well, like basic poly modeling, before moving on to the big ambitious stuff with sculpting and baking etc.

Walk before you run, and all that. We all had to. Getting ahead of yourself will just slow down your development.

I understand Perna, I know I don't have a firm grasp on all the above mentioned areas, just bits and pieces. Right now I am currently focusing on just the poly modeling part, but everything does eventually tie together. I'm just trying to build this base in the most efficient way possible, in the case if I wanted to take it into zbrush and do the sculpting. I'm not actually going to attempt to, as I know that's way out of my reach at the moment and too much to juggle. But I'd like to start developing good habits now rather than later. (IE good topology, suitable for sub-d when I have to in the future)

If i'm not to be focusing on any of that, I would say this base is considered done, no? Just wondering
  • Gwee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, no. That's just not how it works. Low poly and cage model or base model for sculpting, these are all completely different things. It doesn't work the way you think it works.

I strongly recommend you not worry about sculpting at all, just forget that it exists for a while. You're not building good habits now, like you say you intend to, you're building very bad habits by rushing through stuff and not taking the time to learn one subject thoroughly before moving onto the next.

You will definitely benefit from following this advice.

I understand that they're different things. Whenever I've been referring to "Base" in this thread, i'm referring to the piece in the recent screenshots, the "base" of the entire structure. the cylinder piece with the stairs cut into it, not an actual "base" mesh.

As you said, forgetting zbrush even exists, I'm still trying to poly-model this base piece of the entire structure with clean topology. I would say that's good practice and worth trying to do when creating any model, no? Just by looking at this, I don't know what's wrong, or what's right. Believe me I've been taking my time and trying to do as much research as possible, but I'm always running into a different million answers