Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Survival Horror Game [The Path]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
hi fellow Polycounters !!

its been a while that i was under surface and sneaking over here but finally i realized that i should show up my final year project for university that i am currently busy with, The Path, my own Survival horror game.

survival horror games were my favorite games and they had huge impact on my designing style . Silent Hill and resident evil series were always my favorite since i was just a kid . so i decided to make a survival horror games as my final year project, actually just a demo which will just demonstrate my skills in devolving a video-game. unlike many people who do studying animation or gaming, i am studying Multi Media design course which involves more with web designing and branding but i am quite glad that my supervisors allowed me to do my final year project about gaming, but anyway ...

Ok here is what i am doing:

right in the beginning i created a character called Roger Blank then i made a story about him. (which i will reveal it later). i made rest of my characters base on the story. after story and characters . i conceptualized my characters on paper. and tried match them with Silent Hill's characters a bit. i also made some concept for the game environment.
after all those sketching i jumped over modeling and texturing some assists for the game's demo . i posted some of the game's assets on this tgread Lowpoly games perviously. and for my character modeling i used these anatomy meshes which i made them with help of people on this forum.

over here i like to start by showing my second main character called Sarah Elizabeth. she was Roger's fiance who died seven years ago before time of the game. during the game she apear as a dead person in Rogers's nightmares. i tired to make here a bit creepy but at a same time sexy and doll looking as she was a pretty singer base on the game story !
here is some progrees that i made so fare !!

17673558.jpg
80356772.jpg
32915892.jpg
56245421.jpg
80729508.jpg

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The character is looking pretty damn good. Might want to rethink the title to your game though, as Tale of Tales released a horror-esque game a few years back under the same name. You should play it too!

http://tale-of-tales.com/ThePath/
  • alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks darbeenbo !

just rigged that female character and posed her with cat system in Max. its pretty easy and flexible rigging system ! here is some new shots !!

imhus5.jpg

2eprrpx.jpg
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Its looking pretty good. I really dig the pose.
  • alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Donavonyoung !

here is our hero, miserable hero !

2uzyvpl.jpg
    2uxwax2.jpg

2rrl8at.jpg
    mwz7dv.jpg
    2u9nzsz.jpg

here is just back story of Roger which i wrote it before designing him ! i found out the back story as a import of character designing in Creative Character Design book by Bryan Tillman.

Back-story

Roger Blank is born in New York in 1976. His father Max Blank was a German scientist who married Mary Elizabeth, an American novelist writer. Roger showed his talents in science in the early ages of his life by submitting his first invention at age of twelve. Unfortunately Roger’s parents died in an accident when he was only fifteen years old. After his parent’s death, he lived in a top government based high school, he enrolls Harvard University after high school where he receives his PhD in Quantum Physics at age of 28, after graduation he works as a researcher in a government based lab. At the age of thirty, he meets Sarah Harrison, an Australian musician. Roger falls in love with Sarah and plans to marry her. Sarah accepts his proposal but tells Roger that she wants to live in Australia. Roger accepts that and promises her that he will quit his job and live with her anywhere in the world. Just a few weeks before their marriage, a tragedy happens and Sarah dies in a mysterious accident. Sarah’s death emotionally damages Roger and leads him to a deep depression. This depression leads Roger to find solitude in the work that he does to give him a sense of closure, almost forgetting the hardship, by being busy the whole time his mind rests only the work and the innovations that leads him astray from the suffering. Even after seven years after that accident he still misses Sarah and always carries her photo in his custom made necklace. In 2007 Roger joins a team of top scientists in a government based project called Omega. In this project, Roger works with his Iranian partner, Prof. Hesabi , on a medicine which helps patients recover from psychological turmoil, in order to heal to their natural state of mental capacity .
  • orihaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orihaus polycounter lvl 10
    I'm liking this. Models look good and have a distinct and classy style. However, the name is a bigger issue than people are making out. The Path is very well known. It isn't, say flash game from 2002 on newgrounds where it wouldn't be an issue taking the name, it is one of the foremost examples of a commercial "Art Game" with clear survival horror influences and undertones. Imagine calling indie horror film: "The Shining". Yea.

Nobody is going to find it on google, press will be confused and 90% of the discussion about it will be about the name. Not to mention that The Path's developers Tale Of Tales, could take legal action. They probably wouldn't, being really nice people, but they will ask you to change the name! I'd suggest "The Passage" but that is taken too.