Home Technical Talk

3ptools for Maya?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tristamus polycounter lvl 9
I know the guys at 3Point aren't very akin to using Maya, so they develop for Max. It's understandable. However, as a guy who loves Maya, does anyone think they could create this same tool for use in Maya?...

3ptools

It looks really great, especially for creating decorative patterns for fencing and railings, etc.

Is anyone up to the challenge of making it for Maya? Because I certainly cannot due to my lack of scripting ability...

Replies

• Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    This is a golden opportunity for you to learn to script. Otherwise you can pay someone to do it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    +1 this. I'd love 3ptools in Maya.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    Hi, happy you like the tool.
    Instead of "copying" the product, it would be easier to get us in touch with a programmer skilled and willing to do a port. As with what's coming up with the pro release, it's actually gonna be a lot of work. And it's typically hard to find such persons cause to be frank in the end it's a "money loss" game, so you have to be passionate and accept you do more work than you earn from it in the end and from our perspective be very trustworthy.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    +1 for maya.. i would donate a bit of my student money ;)
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Alright, let's get this funded! lol...

Is this something you'd be able to quote a price on? Or is it currently un-measurable in how much it would cost?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    tristamus, it's not so much a matter of money, it's a matter of finding a person who is skilled, trustworthy and does it without money first. We would certainly not risk our own money on this (we already put in insane amount of hours). And given the piracy we saw with the 3pshader I predict we won't "break even" with 3ptools either, even if it sells much more, just because it was a shitload of work and people copying tools, buying one copy for entire studios... That's why I don't think a few people wanting this and even buying it upfront won't be able to really fund it.

You need to find someone who is skilled and passionate about this to get it done. That's something where the community can help, of course, spreading the word about the tool and raise awareness inside the Maya community.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Before you spread this to the unwashed Mayans, let's see some love for Max '13? :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Wish I could help you guys with a Maya port (dont really care about the money side, would want to do it as learning mostly haha) but dont think Im skilled enough with Maya API :( Maybe once I get a handle on Maya's API might give you guys a shout. Looking forward to the Pro release!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    perna: awesome, cheers.