Home Technical Talk

Maya to Zbrush problem

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
Hey!
I've been trying to model a game asset (a house :D) to import into udk.
I modeled a highpoly in Maya, which I wanted to export to Zbrush to bake the maps and retopo it. But when I load the model in Zbrush, there are some weird issues on some parts.. I'm a beginner to 3d stuff, so sorry if it's an easy to solve problem... I hope someone can help me!
On screen 1 is the Maya mesh, on screen 2 what it looks like in Zbrush..

Thanks for your help :)

Shyralon

Replies

• zzz7net
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your normals on the roof before export !
    Are they reversed?
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    normals are flipped on the roof tops. In Maya: go to Display > polygons > face normals and you'll see. Just reverse them in the normals menu
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    Reversed normals?
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I have encountered this problem before. It is a pretty easy fix. Open Maya and turn on the display face normals. Display>Polygons>Face Normals. This will show you the direction the faces are pointing and you will see that the faces not showing up in ZBrush have their faces pointing toward the inside of your model and need to be reversed. To reverse them you can select the individual faces that are not facing outward and then go to Normals> Reverse. Or you can select all the faces of the model and select Normals> Conform which will point all the normals in the same direction (If m the majority of your faces are facing the wrong direction they will all face the wrong way. So just select all of the faces again and select Normals> Reverse. This will point them the right way and they will show up like they should in ZBrush when you export the model.Hope this fixes your problem.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Problem solved, thanks to all of you!
    Great forum here :D
  • amalbubble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I encountered this as well, but even tried flipping normals in maya but there is weird shading of meshes when I import to substance painter the one i corrected. Any solution?
  • amalbubble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh! Solved it myself. The problem is: I did not freeze my transformations on that mesh object. Had used scale -1 once to make that part. :p