Home Technical Talk

Is Zbrush's Wacom Pressure sensitivity broken?

Inhert
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Inhert polycounter lvl 9
I know this sort of issue has been discussed before but I am curious as to what kind of settings you have to have in order to have the right amount of pressure sensitivity on your Wacom? I've heard you have to turn on the "Global settings" under the brush menu in order to get some sort pressure sensitivity from your pen. The reason I ask is I am trying to practice some hard surface stuff in Zbrush and I'm not getting the type of feedback that I want out of my wacom pen. It takes me at least 2-3 strokes or more to get the kind of surface that I want out of it.

I switch over to Mudbox and I am getting the pressure sensitivity that I actually want out of my strokes doing the same equivalent thing in terms of flatten a surface to get planes and hard edges. Takes me only 1 to 2 strokes and that's it while in Zbrush it takes me multiple times. I don't even know which menus in Zbrush I should look for in order to get the right amount pressure sensitivity since there are many factors that contribute to it that will change it's behavior. It just seems kind of odd that Zbrush pressure sensitivity doesn't work as it should on the get go.

I am using a Wacom Cintiq 12wx if that helps.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    preferences > tablet

Also, turn up Z Intensity if your stroke isn't strong enough (main UI, it's a slider near zadd/ zsub buttons, below the Render menu
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I have cranked up the Z intensity to like 80-90 and I still don't have the right amount of pressure sensitivity. Also I should mention that the brushes I use to do the hard surfaces are the clay, polish, and flatten brushes. Is there any way that I can affect the pressure sensitivity without pressing down too hard on the Wacom tablet? I feel like break the end tip of my pen when I do try to do a hard stroke to get a stronger effect off of my brush stroke so I keep repeating the same strokes to get the desire surface.

Any good recommended settings under the preferences > tablet as Bek mentioned that would give good results out of my brush strokes? Don't want to break the end tip of my pen or put a hole on Wacom tablet.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You shouldn't be needing to press that hard. Also changing settings in the pref > tab will only work if the global setting for pressure is enabled in the brush's palette. You might also be interested in the 1 key, which replays your last stroke. So you can make one stroke, then press 1 as many times to get the depth you want. Although rotating the model counts as a stroke, so you have to press 1 directly after the stroke. If you go into your wacom settings there should also be a pressure sensitivity bar, so you can see what's the hardest you need to press.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    For brushes like Flatten or Planar you may want to go into the brush settings and edit the depth http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/New_Brush_Settings
    The Clay Buildup might work better for you if you aren't getting enough displacement out of the regular Clay brush, (it really is just the regular clay brush with the build up option ticked).
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys for your input. I'll be sure to try out the suggested brush settings so I can get the desired effect from the hard surface brushes.
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hewitt96 polycounter lvl 10
    I know this is an old post but i just experienced the same/similar issue within zbrush. I found that the most recent release of Wacom driver was the culprit (release 6.3.14-1 for Windows 8-28-15). i tried reinstalling this driver and zbrush multiple time and restarting my machine. My FIX was reverting back to the driver released back in January of this year. Here is a link to the good driver in case you experience the same issue.

HERE