Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

OreZom Trails

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
I have been working on an iphone game in my spare time for last few months, and were about ready to kickstart it! I figure you guys should get to see it first.

LINK
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1245719024/orezom-trails

The whole style of the game came from this one quick doodle.
sqz.jpg

From that came...
shirtAwLogosm.png
shots.png
The UI is still very WIP.

So whats the game about?
OreZom Trails is a touch based iPhone game where you have to save the world from a zombies curse. You have a book that contains the key to save the world, but it can only be used in Oregon, and you, unfortunately, are stuck on the east coast.
You’ll have to find supplies to keep yourself fed, fueled, and healthy while you roadtrip across the US to save humanity, dodging zombies all the way. It’s a hard, lonely journey, and along the way you’ll meet other survivors who will help you - or at least make life more interesting!
The catch is you only have 30 days to use the book, so make sure you use your time wisely!

What do you guys think?

Replies

• LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Holy crap, I love it! Those environments, in particular, and the trucks :D The UI's got a great style, too!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    that looks awesome. I'll be kicking it right in the start.
  • guhhh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guhhh polycounter lvl 9
    great style!! love the shader as well
  • Fango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome!

I have a question on the way its made, if you could indulge me.

Is this all unlit with the lighting painted into the textures and blob shadows used for the shadows?

I'm really intrigued as to how you achieved the style.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekk and ReverendK, thanks guys!

guhhh, No shader magic here.

Fango, Yep its all self illuminated, just polys for shadows.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fango, to be exact the the environments are using a 4x4 texture swatch and the zombies are using 32x32 textures for two.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    We're having some amazon issues so the kickstarter has been pushed back by a few days. I'll update this page when everything is setup.

In the mean time ask anything you want to know about the art or what the game is.
  • Thegodzero
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    looks great! good luck!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I've said earlier in the thread, I love love love the art. That said, that kickstarter video really needs more love. I mean, it's great that both of you talked about yourselves and a bit about the game and backing tiers; humanising the developer is always good for these things...

...but for a game that's almost done, you really should have included some footage of it in action. I'd imagine that would go miles towards enticing more people. Additionally, the screenshots on the kickstarter page are a bit... small and busy, making it hard to make out what's what, and, frankly, hiding the awesome art.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking nice!

Which begs the question - Why such small images on your kickstarter page, which're partially covered up with even smaller screenshots or merch?

Show the actual game off a bit more!

Also, do you have any gameplay vids captured? Would be a good idea to show this off in motion, if you can.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We suck at making videos, games yes, but marketing vids...

The plan is Friday to add a gameplay video, and to show the first two pages of the journal/comic.

As for the images sizes, it auto sizes everything down to 700 wide. So well be adding more shots that are tall, not wide so better show the game. That don't get re sized to nothing.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to the gameplay video, then :) I'm backing anyway (looking forward to checking out the soundtrack :p), in the hopes that you manage to hit your Android stretch target (non-iOS user here).
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    I would highly suggest making a more readable logo if you expect anyone to be able to search for this game without knowing how to spell it beforehand because were it not for reading the title in plain text I would have thought this was Drezam Tails...

Game looks wonderful though
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dii,
    I wouldn't be posting on PC if I wasn't willing to make changes. So what are you thinking would help it? I have tried a few things but they either didn't help, or strayed too far from the style.

Also what other info would you like to know about the game?
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    I actually don't think your logo matches your game style at all. Looks like it should be on a vector arcade game from the 80s.

The defining feature of your logo is it's loaded with parallel lines.

While the defining feature of your games style is thick shapes and flat colors/shading with hard edge transitions. Once you incorporate the tilt of objects, animated zombies, and camera perspective your game actually doesn't have that many parallel lines (aside from your top right street map)

Your game is facetted but it doesn't ignore round shapes, your compass is still round, I don't see why your O can't be.

The one consistent thing about all of your games screens is that it takes place staring down a road, maybe try to incorporate that perspective into your logo and worry less about how angular your shapes are and more about how you're shading them.

orezomlogo.jpg

Sorry I dont have much in the way of useful suggestions, hopefully you'll come up with something better. I'm not much good at logo design, all I know is I can't read yours and I doubt I'm the only one :\

if you really want to half ass it and bandaid a solution you could just tack on your url in plain text below your logo.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Looks like it should be on a vector arcade game from the 80s."

That's exactly what I was going for :) The game takes place in the 80's so I wanted a logo to firmly placed it in the era of crappy halfway unreadable logos. (good god were there a lot!) Logos that almost had nothing do do with the feeling of the thing it was supposed to be representing. I think I might have taken that too far, and made it too unreadable.

I do agree with your points, and I'll see if I can find a way to use that idea in the current design to help it's readability.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    So much win!

I actually really love this style, and tried to get someone else on board to make a Unity game in a similar style a while ago. Didn't pan out because they were convinced games couldn't be made at such a low spec and still be viable in the market these days -_-

Anyhow, good luck on the Kickstarter :)
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I love it and I want to see it in all its epicness. Sending myself an email so I remember to back it when I get home from work!

...However I agree %100 about the logo. Totally get where you're going and it does stink of the 80's, but I personally think if you're going to be using it functionally it should at least be readable. When I was scrolling through the WAYWO thread and saw the screens with the logo I had no idea what it was supposed to say until I started reading up about it. I thought it said "Drezam Tails", since the O flips upside down, lol. Maybe put the plain text title in small print below it?

I have a question bout the art style... how the heck are you making entire environments out of 1(?) 4x4 texture?! Is it just pixel swatches of color with the all the environment's UVs arranged on the corresponding color swatch? Like for example the cactus' UVs are stretched across 3 pixels of various shades of green that are next to each other on the texture map? Mind = Blown.

Anyway, hoping this puppy gets funded. Keep us updated!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polyhertz,
    Thanks! Its fun just how quick you can make stuff too.

Sybrix,
    Yep, that's why I was looking for feedback on it. I'm going to try some ideas tonight. Mostly related to the o shapes. As for how it's made, yep it's just swatches with broken up UV's for different colors.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok some logo ideas, which one do you like best? And which can you read best?
    logochart2.png
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely the second one down.

I'd work a bit more on making sure the O's don't come across as D's, though. The second one is the variant that does this best out of the three, but I think you can still push it further.
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually like dii's idea more than those red ones above. I know you're trying to capture a retro look but they're difficult to read.

The bottom one is the clearest of the three though.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Agreed. The current very stylized, tight, almost futuristic typography doesn't fit with cartoony zombies. Experiment with some vastly different styles, like Dii's, instead of making tiny adjustments to your current one.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We reached our funded goal! Now its on to iPad and android!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations, dude. Can't wait to play it :)
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome! Looking forward to playing it :)
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet dude! already backed it, (even though you guys hit your goal ) Having said that, the logo does need a little more love; if I had to go with one of those choices I would go with the second one, (readability, and unique identity are super important). I really love the idea of the game, should be amazing!
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Saw this on kickstarter and just had to back it. Great work guys! Looking forward to playing the game.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    now time to remove all the spelling mistakes from your Kickstarter for that new goal! :)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Were in the final hours of the kickstarter! If you haven't pledged and still were thinking about it do it now!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1245719024/orezom-trails

Hawken, yeah you cant change anything in the rewards once you start. It make sense, stops people from changing the rewards. But sucks seeing spelling errors.