Home Technical Talk

Duplicate to save texture memory?

Hi.

I'm on building a level in udk and i was wondering about something.

The level consists of ALOT of wooden planks for buildings, floor, pier and so on. and the style is supposed to be old and not leveled.

Is it best to maybe make 3-5 different planks and duplicate them and then skew, rotate and scale them to make it look more custom?

I want to get the highest possible texture resolution so im guessing this is the best way to get highres and save texture memory?

And to get the textures more organic after this, how about vertex painting?

appreciate any input here :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'd say make a few variations, even. Have a couple of loose planks, but also have models that are 5 or so planks as one object. This will save a you a lot of instances and will allow you to build things much faster.

Yes the best way to get a high resolution texture is to work modularly and instance objects around.

For organic shapes it depends. You could use vertex paint, you could add a worldspace texture overlay, you could use an overlay that depends on the object normals (for instance, like how snow rests). But first try just having the simple textures and see how it looks ingame. It might be enough.